Deleting IE History

I cannot clear my IE history. I believe that there is an admin process that
is preventing this from happening. I am able to delete the History folder in
Local Settings/ History, but the history is still visible in the IE address
drop down bar.

How can I delete these entries???

Bruce Hagen

I believe you are talking about a different situation. In IE: Tools |
Internet Options | Content | Auto Complete. Clear Forms and uncheck boxes as
you wish.

When i go to Internet Options/Tools the History section is greyed out. I
cannot change the " days to keep pages in history" or use the clear history
button. I believe that this is allowing the previously viewed web addresses
to remain in the address bar.

can you help? Thanks

Bruce Hagen

That's a whole different situation that I'm not familiar with. Keep checking
back and hopefully you will get an answer from someone with the correct
answer.

Thanks Bruce

Bruce Hagen said:
That's a whole different situation that I'm not familiar with. Keep checking
back and hopefully you will get an answer from someone with the correct
answer.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Regarding grayed out History settings:
Run regedit and check these two keys:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Restrictions[
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Restrictions[
for the value (right pane) "Btn_History"
If found, modify the value from 1 to 0 (zero)

Also, in this key
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control
Panel] the History value (right pane) should be 0 (zero)

If that registry restriction isn't found, are you running any third-party
programs that would be "protecting" the history?

The TypedURLs in the Address Bar are stored in the registry. Some methods of
clearing history delete them- some don't.

This article explains the TypedURLs history:
157729 - How to Clear the History Entries in Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q157729
Removing some or all entries is an easy registry edit.

For an easier, safer removal method, go to
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
and download "DelTypedURL." This INF file will remove all entries.

These two freeware programs will remove some or all entries:
IE Address Bar Editor: http://www.freesoft.fsnet.co.uk/ieedit01.htm
EditURLs: http://www.aandrc.com/editurls/index.htm

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]