Deleted emails not going to "Deleted"' folder

Independent

Sigh. Maybe I don't understand how this discussion group is supposed to work.
Do you get only one response per day? I've replied to each response with
requests for further help, but those replies don't get answered. Am I doin'
this wrong?

Anyway - on 9/2 I stated that Outlook has all of a sudden started
immediately permanently removing emails that I delete rather than putting
them in the "deleted" folder.

I was told to "check the delete settings".

I replied that I couldn't find these settings.

No response.

On 9/3 posted another new entry as follow-up asking where those settings were.

I Was told to "check the rules".

I replied as followed but, as yet, have received no response.

I did examine the rules - there are none. I don't even know how those
"rules" are supposed to work so I wouldn't know why some would get set all of
a sudden. Moot point - nothing was there.

As you can tell, I need specific "click this button; do this step" kind of
help because I'm an Outlook neophyte.

I inadvertently lost, due to this problem, some (to me at least) fairly
important messages and I want to understand how this happened. Until I do,
I've had to create a new folder to store messages that I delete from my inbox
to avoid having this issue.

Just wanted to let you know that I did really investigate the "help" on
these issues and couldn't find anything except for Archive stuff that related
to delete settings and even that never said anything like "delete
immediately."

Help didn't really "help" me with this rules business either.

I did (and continue to) try to understand and resolve this on my own but I
would very much appreciate your assistance.

VanguardLH

Independent said:
Sigh. Maybe I don't understand how this discussion group is supposed to work.
Do you get only one response per day? I've replied to each response with
requests for further help, but those replies don't get answered. Am I doin'
this wrong?

Nobody here works for you. Nobody here gets paid by you. Everyone here
is volunteering their time and varying expertise. Volunteers decide on
which posts they will reply and they will also choose when they feel
like revisiting a newsgroup. Someone that choose to help you might get
sick, be off-site, or went on vacation. Newsgroups is not their job.
Newsgroups is their hobby. This is a community of peers, not a free
venue to Microsoft support. This is Usenet despite your use of
Microsoft's webnews-for-dummies interface that pretends Microsoft has
forums by usurping Usenet.

What is Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroups
http://www.masonicinfo.com/newsgroups.htm
http://www.mcfedries.com/Ramblings/usenet-primer.asp
Anyway - on 9/2 I stated that Outlook has all of a sudden started
immediately permanently removing emails that I delete rather than putting
them in the "deleted" folder.

I was told to "check the delete settings".

I replied that I couldn't find these settings.

No response.

The problem is that you keep opening a NEW thread rather than updating
the existing one. If you want to continue the discussion then do so by
adding your next posts to the existing thread. I and many other users
are not inclined to go hunting through the posts trying patch back
together your multitude of disconnected threads. Because you started a
new thread here which omits any context from the prior thread, the
information available here is probably less than what was available in
the original thread.

If you use Shift+Del to delete messages, you chose to permanently delete
them. If you delete items from the "Deleted Items" folder (which are
obviously not really deleted but just moved into a folder with this
name) then you chose to permanently delete them. You never mentioned
from which folder(s) you are deleting the item(s) that are getting
permanently deleted rather than (which is assumed) getting moved into
the "Deleted Items" folder.

Maybe they weren't permanently deleted but are just hidden due to the
view you use on whatever folder(s) you are complaining about.

Maybe you enabled auto-archive and it is configured to permanently
delete items older than N days (based on their modified datestamp, not
on their received datestamp).
On 9/3 posted another new entry as follow-up asking where those settings were.

I Was told to "check the rules".

I replied as followed but, as yet, have received no response.

I did examine the rules - there are none. I don't even know how those
"rules" are supposed to work so I wouldn't know why some would get set all of
a sudden. Moot point - nothing was there.

Then it is back to HOW you are deleting the items, from where you are
deleting them, and where you expect them to show up after deleting them.
As you can tell, I need specific "click this button; do this step" kind of
help because I'm an Outlook neophyte.

Understood but not enough info is present in THIS discussion to know
what you did or what you expect to happen.
I inadvertently lost, due to this problem, some (to me at least) fairly
important messages and I want to understand how this happened. Until I do,
I've had to create a new folder to store messages that I delete from my inbox
to avoid having this issue.

Does this permanent delete (which presumably means they don't get moved
into the "Deleted Items" folder) occur only for items deleted from the
Inbox folder, or does it also occur for items deleted from other folders
(besides the "Deleted Items" folder)?
Just wanted to let you know that I did really investigate the "help" on
these issues and couldn't find anything except for Archive stuff that related
to delete settings and even that never said anything like "delete
immediately."

In the global options, is Auto-Archiving enabled? When you right-click
on the "Deleted Items" folder to look at its properties, is auto-archive
enabled? Both must be enabled for archiving to function on a folder:
one is a global option (like the master breaker in your circuit box) and
the other is a local option (like the wall light switch in a room).

You never mentioned (in THIS thread) which version of Outlook that you
use. I haven't bothered to upgrade from OL2002. The later versions
have an option to empty the "Deleted Items" folder when you exit
Outlook. Hunt through the option to see if there is such an option and,
if so, disable it. Read
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP100807271033.aspx.
Help didn't really "help" me with this rules business either.

You said there weren't any rules defined so they're not at fault (since
there aren't any).
I did (and continue to) try to understand and resolve this on my own but I
would very much appreciate your assistance.

From this point on, post your replies on this topic under this same
thread. Only after a week has elapsed without getting any replies can
you figure that it is an abandoned thread.

Independent

Vanguard,

Thank you very much for your detailed response. Although I wrote it poorly,
evidently, I did indeed mean it when I said that I must not understand how to
use this forum.

You've given me some very good information and advice which I will take.

Thanks for your time and I deeply apologize to all if my post came off in
more of a critical manner than I intended.

VanguardLH

Independent said:
forgot to restate that this Outlook v7 on Vista

There is no version 7 of Outlook.

Version 8 = Outlook 97
Version 8.5 = Outlook 98
Version 9 = Outlook 2000
Version 10 = Outlook 2002/XP
Version 11 = Outlook 2003
Version 12 = Outlook 2007

Outlook was born in the Office 97 bundle. It replaced Microsoft's
previous scheduling and mail programs: Schedule+ and Exchange Client.
The following clients came bundled in Exchange Server 5.5:

Version ? = Outlook for MS-DOS
Version 8 = Outlook for Windows 3.x
Version 8.1 = Outlook for Macintosh

Independent

Yes!!!!

The "view" of the Deleted folder was the problem. I have no idea how that
view was changed but, Vanguard, you pointed me right to the solution.

I've found all those emails that I thought had been permanently deleted
including the ones that were so important to me.

I'm very curious about how that setting could have been changed but will
simply savor the fact that all my stuff is visible again. (Until this
discussion, I did not realize that things could be "in"visible like that.)

Thanks SOOOOO much!!

VanguardLH

Independent said:
Yes!!!!

The "view" of the Deleted folder was the problem. I have no idea how that
view was changed but, Vanguard, you pointed me right to the solution.

I've found all those emails that I thought had been permanently deleted
including the ones that were so important to me.

I'm very curious about how that setting could have been changed but will
simply savor the fact that all my stuff is visible again. (Until this
discussion, I did not realize that things could be "in"visible like that.)

Thanks SOOOOO much!!

Okay, now do 3 rah-rah spins of your fists in unison, and repeat once.
Glad to hear you can now see those previously hidden items.

You do backups, right? If you don't backup your data, you deem it
worthless or reproducible. Shi[f]t happens. You need backups;
otherwise, when a file gets lost or corrupted or you replace a failed
hard disk and someone points you to use your backups to restore the
file, you'll sit there momentarily dazed, like a deer caught in
headlights, saying "uhhhhh...ummmm...".

Independent

The rah-rahs have commenced and continue! YEA!

Oh drat. I've not yet started regular backups but will immediately. I'm so
accustomed to having that kind of stuff done for me at work. Once I started a
disconnected home office, I forgot to put in those procedures.

Thanks SO much for that heads-up.

And again, I am so sorry that my original post in this thread gave you the
impression that I was complaining. I really truly was just trying to say that
I didn't understand the way that this forum worked and was trying to give a
time line of what I'd done to date on this problem.
--
thanks,
Independent

VanguardLH said:
Independent said:
[...]

Sitchilly

Independent said:
[...]

o.k. I'll try that again. I just want to say that you have identified my
exact problem. And how I want to deal with it if possible. If you get an
answer, could you let me know?

Sitchilly

Hey Independent, I didn't know how this post thing works either obviously if
you get my other reply. I scrolled down and found : so this is great.

Abee57

In reading the response to your email I was unable to figure out which "BOTH"
it is that need to be enabled. I am facing the same problem where my deleted
emails do not show up in the folder, however the # of deleted emails is in
parenthesis next to the little delete icon folder. I have also made sure
that my emails are NOT deleted upon exiting Outlook. NOW WHAT????
Which "BOTH" is to be enabled???????