Windows XP defrag won't work because of chkdsk

Reaction score
hello I'm new here and wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem. I was using ccleaner and it told me a certain file was corrupt and to run check disk. However when i went to use check disk it was unable to complete.
I tried the command prompt. chkdsk /r c:, and when i reboot i get the disk is RAW, unable to complete disk check.
i use Windows xp sp3, I have nod 32 antivirus. and used trojan remover, and malwarebyte, antimalware and spybot search and destroy, so i'm sure i'm clean of viruses.
someone from another forum directed me hear https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2346380.php
but am not certain about the registry keys, and i think that is for windows 2000
anyhelp would be appreciated, cause i can't afford a new harddrive right now and been told by some people that might be the problem( its only 3 years old-HP)
thanx
nad

Reaction score
I'm not sure that is the correct command in this instant mate

You can you boot your system I take it?

Try chkdsk /f if you can you dont need to use the suffix c: as the command works upon your next boot

start/run/chkdsk /f

y

reboot

let us know

and go and say hello aswell :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did what you said in the cmd with chkdsk /f and have restarted 5 times and no scan . windows just starts up

Reaction score
So you do the above read what it says?

And then reply "Y"

Reboot and it boots as normal? It does absolutely no scan whatsoever?

It should start booting and then goto the scan. and give you reports via a DOS window. It take about 2 - 3times longer to boot your machine then goes to your desktop as normal

Reaction score
yes, it just boots as normal. i have user set on password, don't know if that has anything to do with it. I forgot to tell you I got this virus about a year ago, and it attached itself to a lot of my .exe progams and erased them in the virus vault before i knew what was going on and got rid of the virus. took me awhile to get most of them back found them in a special system folder. the computer works normally other than this scan and defrag.

Reaction score
I did find a check disk program called checkdisk 1.04 and got this
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
checkDisk will work now with drive: C:
C:\ Volume Label: Hard Drive, File System: NTFS
The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable.
Reading second NTFS boot sector instead.
All NTFS boot sectors are unreadable. Cannot continue.
Check Disk: Unable to Finish
Check Disk Failed

Error with drive: C
is there any program that will help fix the boot sectors without wrecking windows
thanx
don't mean to sound rude, but am just getting annoyed
thanx
nad

Ask a Question