Custom "My Computer" name and icon vanish at next start up?

G

I have this problem with "My Computer". I rename it on the desktop, and I also set a custom icon to it. I save it as a new theme file. And everything looks ok. Until I restart my computer, both the icon as well as the custom name are gone, it's back to "My Computer" and the standard icon. When I open the desktop settings box, it still says it's on my personal theme, when I click on the theme again and then on apply, my custom icon comes back, but the name remanes default. I've cheked the register too. It has the custom settings present before I shut down, but as soon restart the custom values are gone from the register. Does anyone know what might cause this problem. I have another computer, also running on XP home, and it saves it custom icon and name. I'm clueless. :(

K

Kelly

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Clsid

Right click the folder icon and select Permissions/Advanced/Add/System.
Put a check in the Deny column for the Set Value permission.
Ok your way out.

K. Miller

Ask a Question