Crysis

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Thanks Reefsmoka, I might be a numpty cos I can't see where you can click on a download on that page for the hotfix ?

As soon as you open the link you will see a picture of a spanner and screwdriver to the left of the screen, the download link is next to them pictures in blue writing saying "View and request hotfix downloads"

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks again to all.

The graphics card is in the correct slot on the Mobo (PCI Express 2.0 x 16-1 slot - dual at x 16 link) and the Mobo manual recomends using this slot for a single Graphics card.

I've just been playing Ghostbusters on Max with no problems, smooth running and all the extras turned on so sparks and debris falling everywhere with no slow down.

Would have been intersting to have played Crysis before I installed its update. but then there were so many flaws that had to be addressed that I guess I'd need it anyway. Plus I'm sure you all had the patch and yours still played fine.

Obviously something is wrong, but I've checked everything and restored BIOS settings to default, set the Nvidia settings in control panel back to defaults aswell incase that was causing anything. Loaded Optimal settings. Nothing changeds with performance.

I'll run GPU-Z later.

CSB

Reaction score
Happy ?, yes and no. of course I'm happy I can play my other games well but Crysis is an excellent game which I'm currently unable to enjoy. I should be having trouble free gaming at the moment.

I downloaded GPU Z as recomended by V_R. Took some screenshots of the readings below, the thrid pic is after 30 seconds of it starting up.

Attachments

• GPUZ 1.png
    GPUZ 1.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 129
  • GPUZ 2.png
    GPUZ 2.png
    26 KB · Views: 111
  • GPUZ 3.png
    GPUZ 3.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 126

CSB

Reaction score
Probably the best thing to do, at least you know its going to work straight out of the box and no need to think "Right, how many patches and settings do I need with this one"

I've still been playing Crysis 1, even though its as choppy as a chef preparing a meal for 10. I like it, I really do, but why is my system doing this to me, could I have faulty hardware ?. but then if that was the case, I'd have problems playing Mafia 2 and Ghostbusters on full settings.

Would it be beneficial to take screenshots of my BIOS settings ?. incase you pro's can see something I clearly can't.

I've had 4 days off work which I booked ages ago, and was looking forward to playing Crysis for hours with no problems. Back to work tomorrow :(

CSB

Reaction score
Well Well Well, I bought Crysis 2 Limited Edition today whilst out and about. Installed it an hour ago and runs fine, on Extreme graphics setting.

And I have to say I really like Crysis 2, I would be playing right now, but wanted to let you guys know and plus I've got work tomorrow.

CSB

Reaction score
Is also funny how you can get a speeding ticket by running lol. I could say more but I wont spoil it.

Just out of curiosity, I used Afterburner to see how much the GPU was being stressed. I was surprised the readings were not higher or is that normal ?

Attachments

• Crysis 2 play.jpg
    Crysis 2 play.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
GPU usage does seem low maxing out at 47%, might be a CPU dependent game like black ops. Im gonna try on crysis warhead n see what happens.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
My GPU usage is at 99% all the way^^

Might be because Crysis 2 is more CPU dependant, i dont know
crysisgpuusage.png

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
As i said in a post three days ago, There is something wrong with your 580.

Did you try the drivers i posted above? Did you try check the usage when running the Heaven bench? That will be 100% all the time if its not then my suspicions are confirmed.

What Ghostbusters game? Not Sanctum of Slime? That wont even make the 580 break a sweat. ;)

Just out of curiosity, I used Afterburner to see how much the GPU was being stressed. I was surprised the readings were not higher or is that normal ?

No, like i said, there is an issue somewhere, though at this time i am not sure if is software or hardware..... :(

I also just fired up Crysis 2 to check my GPU usage....

attachment.php

Attachments

• msiab_crysis2.png
    msiab_crysis2.png
    155.4 KB · Views: 406

CSB

Reaction score
Was Ghostbusters the video game, the one that was released on the PS3 and xbox 360 a while ago. I played it on max and was fine.

I havn't tried changing drivers over yet, but if your fine with 266.58 then why wouldn't my Asus card be ok with it. I'll try new drivers later tonight.

Run Heaven benchmark again and added 8x AA which was the max it would allow in the settings. Here are the results below.

Is really annoying me and I'm sure its annoying you guys aswell, which I'm sorry for :(

Attachments

• 99 per cent.png
    99 per cent.png
    162.5 KB · Views: 198

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Now that is more like it. :)

Thats using the card to 100% of its power, now we just gotta find out why it aint in games...... :/

Just because the drivers are good for me, that dont mean they will be ok for you. this is PC's we are talking about here, they are all different in one way or another... ;)

CSB

Reaction score
Just played Crysis 2 and thought I'd really take it to the max, so went to HD resolution and extreme system setting. Havn't changed driver yet but do have the Beta version downloaded ready. Results below.

Attachments

• Crysis 2 high spec.png
    Crysis 2 high spec.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 278

CSB

Reaction score
Installed the Beta driver, was strange though as near the end of the installation, it asked me did I want to instal Nvidia USB controller. why would that be in a graphics driver. So I said No to it and then the programme seemed to crash until I noticed a box hiding behind which I had to click ok to, as it was telling me it was asked to stop in an unexpected way. i.e. me clicking no to the usb driver.

The box then came up asking me to restart the programme and had ticks in the window to say all components to the graphics driver had installed.

I restarted and tried Crysis 1, put it on max settings, resolution and graphics that is and it played fine. was the first time I've got to play it smoothly and enjoy it. Readings below.

I am concerned though if the graphics driver could be corrupt after I interupted the installation when it asked me if I want the usb controller. I already have my Asus mobo cd drivers installed.

Attachments

• Crysis normal.png
    Crysis normal.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 282

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hmmm, something still aint right, i wonder if your cards being throttled for one reason or another....

Tried running the fan @100% and see if it still does it? Wonder if its a faulty thermal sensor or something? Just set MSI AB to 100% fan and play a game, it will be a little loud but worth a shot....

Hate to say it but i'd be looking to RMA the card..... Its clearly not well......

Heres my GPU usage for Crysis 2 with max settings.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• crysis2launcher.png
    crysis2launcher.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 734
  • crysis2usage.png
    crysis2usage.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 327

CSB

Reaction score
How do you get up the advance graphics settings for Crysis 2 V_R. I thought the only settings you have are when you are on the game menus and you go into options.

Also, when I clicked on the game to have a go, I remembered I took the disc out earlier, but it still loaded and allowed me to play fine. I always thought you'd need the disc in the machine to help prevent people sharing games.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just posting about it in the Crysis 2 thread, check in a few mins. :)

RE your second point, dunno, i get all my games on Steam, i CBA with it any other way anymore. ;)

CSB

Reaction score
Just one last question on this thread. Do you all think this graphics card has a physical problem somewhere and I need to contact the seller ???. I might take pics of my BIOS settings as one last attempt, if you guys wouldn't mind taking a look at them.

All your help is appreciated as always.

Ask a Question