cross-file cross references

Peter T. Daniels

So I have this 90-chapter book, and the chapters are coming in
gradually, and there are cross references by chapter number to each
other.

If my chapter title style has a list numbering, can I cross reference
to it from a different file -- and when eventually all the chapters
get put into one big file, to get the index and the combined
bibliography etc., will the cross references still work?

(The chapter numbers are not necessarily set, since they might get
rearranged as sections are moved around, which is why cross references
are needed.)

We still don't use "Master Documents," right?

Stefan Blom

I believe the easiest approach is to make use of INCLUDETEXT fields to
create a "master" document. Cross-references must then be created when you
are looking at the combined document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP