Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Sound Card

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hump the first three creative links in me last post don't work but the last one might be usefull .

wallbash.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I think myself and Creative have just parted company :mad:

I'll put this card in my media machine, it only has onboard sound atm and the card is half height so should fit well in the Desktop case.

Auzentech & Asus are now going to get some serious scrutiny from me.

Whoever has the best reports and reviews and can offer decent driver support (we're talking Vista & Linux), will get my cash.
I've seen the Asus card only supports EAX 2.0 and no higher.

The Auzen X-FI prelude is a modded X-FI with creative drivers. ;)

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_prelude.php

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
I've seen the Asus card only supports EAX 2.0 and no higher.

That's not a problem, I've noticed EAX doesn't sound that great with this X-Fi Audio card anyway. I'm considering music playback here as well, which is one area where the X-Fi Audio really scored, tbh.

V_R said:
The Auzen X-FI prelude is a modded X-FI with creative drivers. ;)

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_prelude.php

I know :rolleyes: I read that earlier this morning.

So scrub that.

Still pondering...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Inca Atahuallpa said:
Thanks a lot!
These drivers helped! :) The card is recognised as "Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio". It plays well, but only one speaker-out is working (that is green on card).

Blimey you mean I got something right for a change .
laughingsmiley.gif

Try cleaning your jack plugs and pushing them in and out several times . If that don't work you may have a dodgy card .

user.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Blimey you mean I got something right for a change .
laughingsmiley.gif

Try cleaning your jack plugs and pushing them in and out several times . If that don't work you may have a dodgy card .

user.gif
Yeah, I think there'll be some kind of a "Control Center" from Creative (and they'll put it for downloads on their site) for these pci-e cards? Perhaps, all other speaker-outs are just not activated.
The sound. Yeah it's not bad to my mind. I use audio only for watching films and listening mp3's. I have a built-in IntelHDA and it was good for some years. But not so long ago it became irritating with a some kind of "cracks" during playback and sometimes the volume was changing by itself, too (no viruses, because I heard it on some different OS'es even after "fresh installation"). So, this Creative card is just good for me, as I don't need "high-end" audio card.-) And have no PCI slots left, only some PCI-E 1x.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Did you check out the Audio settings from the Control Panel in Windows ? That sometimes needs re-setting when you've changed something .

happywave.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
That's not a problem, I've noticed EAX doesn't sound that great with this X-Fi Audio card anyway. I'm considering music playback here as well, which is one area where the X-Fi Audio really scored, tbh.
Really? EAX is good on my XM card. Makes games come alive a little more i thought. :)

I know :rolleyes: I read that earlier this morning.

So scrub that.

Still pondering...
Still looks like a good card though, but as you've had your fingers burned by Creative, i see where your coming from.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Inca dude, the reason your speakers crackle is because you have X-fi's crystalizer set too high. set it down to about 50%. As for the Volume changing constantly, sounds like you have the SVM (Smart Volume Managment) turned on. This means that loud sounds are quieted down so there are no volume spikes.

Hey Flops, i thought that you didnt care if your X-fi was 'fake' as long as it sounds good?
what i find strange, if you have x2 Audigys 2 ZS.... wouldnt they sound better than a rebranded audigy?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
Hey Flops, i thought that you didnt care if your X-fi was 'fake' as long as it sounds good?

Yes, I got to thinking, after I'd calmed down, if I'm pleased with the sound - and I am - why spend more money? I'll keep it for a whiles anyways and keep an eye out for something else somewhere in the future.

I seriously like the look of the Razer Barracuda to tell the truth but it's a bit pricy.

Alf said:
what i find strange, if you have x2 Audigys 2 ZS.... wouldnt they sound better than a rebranded audigy?

Not entirely sure where you're coming from there - care to explain?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
I dug this out flopp's, thought you might be interested in this article..

X-Fi Xtreme Audio
The entry-level model of the X-Fi series, the Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio, does not actually have the EMU20K1 chip but is a re-branded Audigy SE, using the same family of chips (CA0106-WBTLF), and even the same drivers.....

Thats were i got that idea. :)

BTW, Whats the best volume ratio? Ive heard its 'opitmal' to have your hardware (e.i. X-fi) at 75% volume and your speakers/headphones at about 25% or so.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Frankly, i bet side by side, you would be able to decern a "real" X-fi from a "fake" one. unless the app takes "advantage" of the the real X-fi's "power" :D

Ask a Question