creating a delivery receipt in Outlook

Tom Dice

I'm using MS Office Pro 2007 with Outlook. My desire is to set a rule t
cause an automatic delivery receipt to be returned to me when th
recipient opens my email. On a new mail page, I clicked on the option
tab and checked "request a delivery receipt for this message," and als
checked "have replies sent to [my email address.] However, no deliver
receipts are being returned to me. Please note that I do not want th
"read" receipt that requires the recipient to allow it; I just want th
non-participating delivery receipt automatically returned to me when th
recipient opens my email.
Thanks in advance for your help.

DL

No receipt will be sent unless the receipient agrees, and assuming their
server / system doesnt block it in the first place.
ie there is no PC method of confirming receipt / read you need to resort to
voice coms, and believe what you are told.

Tom Dice

I agree with your statement only regarding the "read" receipt where the
recipient is present with a box to allow the response. However, my
experience with an earlier version of Outlook is that the "delivery"
receipt does not require participation by the recipient and such
"delivery" receipt is returned to the sender when the recipient opens
the email. This is what I am trying to do.
Tom

;318994']No receipt will be sent unless the receipient agrees, and

"Tom Dice" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

I'm using MS Office Pro 2007 with Outlook. My desire is to set a rule
cause an automatic delivery receipt to be returned to me when the
recipient opens my email. On a new mail page, I clicked on the
options
tab and checked "request a delivery receipt for this message," and
also
checked "have replies sent to [my email address.] However, no
delivery
receipts are being returned to me. Please note that I do not want the
"read" receipt that requires the recipient to allow it; I just want
the
non-participating delivery receipt automatically returned to me when
the
recipient opens my email.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Tom

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Delivery receipts are controlled by the mail server that the user is using.
If that server does not recognize the receipt request, or is set to deny
them, you will not receive a delivery receipt no matter what you try.

I know that my mail server is set to not allow delivery receipts. Many
servers out there are set to not allow by default or are easily set to deny.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version!

I'm using MS Office Pro 2007 with Outlook. My desire is to set a rule to
cause an automatic delivery receipt to be returned to me when the
recipient opens my email. On a new mail page, I clicked on the options
tab and checked "request a delivery receipt for this message," and also
checked "have replies sent to [my email address.] However, no delivery
receipts are being returned to me. Please note that I do not want the
"read" receipt that requires the recipient to allow it; I just want the
non-participating delivery receipt automatically returned to me when the
recipient opens my email.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Tom

DL

See Milly's answer
To paraphrase cannot be done unless accepted by their server/firewall
settings

'DL[_2_ said:
[...]

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

I'm using MS Office Pro 2007 with Outlook. My desire is to set a rule to
cause an automatic delivery receipt to be returned to me when the
recipient opens my email.

It's not possible for you to control the recipient's computer.
On a new mail page, I clicked on the options
tab and checked "request a delivery receipt for this message," and also
checked "have replies sent to [my email address.]

Replies will be send to your address anyway, if thta's the sending address you
defined in the "E-mail" field of the account. Don't define the "Reply-To"
address unless it differs from the sendong address.
However, no delivery receipts are being returned to me. Please note that I
do not want the
"read" receipt that requires the recipient to allow it; I just want the
non-participating delivery receipt automatically returned to me when the
recipient opens my email.

Can't be done. The recipient always can disallow returning receipts.

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

I agree with your statement only regarding the "read" receipt where the
recipient is present with a box to allow the response. However, my
experience with an earlier version of Outlook is that the "delivery"
receipt does not require participation by the recipient and such
"delivery" receipt is returned to the sender when the recipient opens
the email. This is what I am trying to do.

First, deltivery receipts are returned by the server when it places the
message in the mailbox. They have no function beyond that. They cannot be
issued when the mail is opened. That's a read receipt. Delivery receipts are
handled strictly by the server and read receipts are handled strictly by the
client.

Second, many (most?) servers do not honor delivery recipt requests. In the
majority of cases, the user doesn't (and perhaps can't) control the honoring
of delivery receipt requests.

In short, there is no way to require a read receipt.