    Preferably by having the tables with autonumbering starting at 1.

    Thanks
    Sandy

    Sandy, Jul 5, 2008

  2. Sandy

    fredg Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 23:17:30 +0100, Sandy wrote:

    > What is the best method of copying an entire database without having to
    > transport the data.
    > Preferably by having the tables with autonumbering starting at 1.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Sandy

    Create a brand new database.
    Then click on File + Get External Data + Import.
    Navigate to the database you wish to copy.
    Select the Tables tab.
    Select All the tables.
    Click on Options.
    Select Definition Only.
    Select Relationships.
    Then select all the Forms, Queries, etc.
    Click OK.

    That's it.

    --
    Fred
    Please respond only to this newsgroup.

    fredg, Jul 5, 2008

  3. Sandy

    boblarson Guest

    I hope you aren't using autonumbers for anything with meaning. They are only
    guaranteed to generate a unique number and really should mostly only be used
    for a primary key and not normally exposed to the user.

    --
    Bob Larson
    Access MVP

    Tutorials at http://www.btabdevelopment.com

    __________________________________

    boblarson, Jul 5, 2008
  4. with SQL Server, it is quite easy to generate all the SCRIPTS to copy
    a whole db without any data.
    Right click- generate scripts, next, next, yes, next

    and then HIT F5 to execute.

    Access doesn't have tools for grown-ups; it is time for everyone to
    move to SQL Server

    a a r o n _ k e m p f, Jul 6, 2008
  5. dude where do you come up with this crap?

    seriously?

    a a r o n _ k e m p f, Jul 6, 2008
  6. "a a r o n _ k e m p f" wrote:

    > seriously?

    Post back when you find your brain. That's the trouble with dried-pea size
    brains -- it's so darn easy to misplace them.

    So Sorry For Poor Aaron, Jul 6, 2008
  7. "a a r o n _ k e m p f" wrote:

    > with SQL Server, it is quite easy to generate all the SCRIPTS to copy
    > a whole db without any data.

    aaron the one-trick jackass! 'move to sql server' is all he knows.

    So Sorry For Poor Aaron, Jul 6, 2008
  8. hey stalker; it would take care of 90% of the problems from 90% of the
    people-- of course everyone should move to SQL Server.

    Like it is so offensive?

    Let me guess; you're an Oracle IDIOT.. is that the problem?

    -Aaron

    a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m, Jul 7, 2008
  9. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Thanks - did the job perfectly
    Sandy

    Sandy, Jul 7, 2008
  10. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Yes Bob they are only for primary keys. They do however have a bearing on
    Job No though.
    Sandy

    Sandy, Jul 7, 2008
  11. "a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o" wrote:

    > of course everyone should move to SQL Server.

    You are such a dumb butt. Everyone should NOT move to SQL Server. Most
    people should stay right with Access and Jet or ACCDB.

    > Like it is so offensive?

    You are so offensive. Are you a program with only one response?

    > Let me guess; you're an Oracle IDIOT.. is that the problem?

    You are the IDIOT who's a problem. I doubt you could pass Oracle 101; I
    doubt you passed SQL Server 101; I know you never passed Access 101. You are
    wrong about almost EVERYthing.

    So Sorry For Poor Aaron, Jul 7, 2008
  12. WRONG
    I'm the only Access person around here that knows how to upsize.

    Shit.
    I'm the only Access person around here that knows the INs and OUTs of
    ADP / DAP.
    You're right-- I'm in a minority (because everyone else is too busy in
    the SQL Server groups).

    Do you want to be a big fish in a little pond? or a little fish in a
    big pond?
    Why don't you STFU and go and take your 'JET UBER ALLES' motto to the
    SQL newsgroups?

    Why don't you see how popular your 'JET UBER ALLES' message is there?

    everyone should move to SQL Server- you're right. You _REALLY_ burned
    me on that one!!!

    so sorry that you work for an obsolete company that uses Oracle

    I'm the only one around here that EARNED his certification. Everyone
    else just had to give a handjob to a 10 year obsolete database (lack
    of) engine

    anyone using JET for anything should be fired and then spit upon.
    SQL Server is the worlds most popular database.

    People don't need LINKED TABLES.
    People don't need SHAREPOINT CRAP.

    People need fast simple databound forms and reports.

    Against a decent DB engine.

    Real quick-- name how many steps to build an Access form that is bound
    to a sproc with 3 parameters?
    Could you do it in 10 steps?

    Because in ADP land it takes me ZERO VBA or DAO, or even ADO for that
    matter

    a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m, Jul 8, 2008
  13. Sandy;

    don't listen to these dipshits.

    if your database can't reliably make autonumbered integers-- blame the
    database, not the design.

    SQL Server can spit out real incremental integers.

    a a r o n _ k e m p f, Jul 8, 2008