Converting .PPT to .HTM for CD

James M. Haberman

I've created a CD-ROM for marketing our small business' products which
contains two .PPT slide shows (created with Powerpoint 2000), a number of
..PDFs and, for navigating to those files, an .HTM "home page" containing
hyperlinked Hover Buttons and additional information. In the interest of
maximizing functionality, each of the .PPTs' slides contains Action Buttons
(FORWARD on the first, BACKWARD & HOME on the last, and FORWARD & BACKWARD
on those in between).

The first problem came when I discovered that Powerpoint's Pack and Go
function is not self-executing. Wanting each user to be able to immediately
view the CD without having Powerpoint installed, I decided to simply use
Powerpoint's Save-As command to convert the .PPTs to web pages. Worked
great, EXCEPT... when viewing the Web version of the former .PPTs (now
Java-based .HTMs in a browser), clicking the last page results in the
browser closing.

Another minor problem is that in the Web version of the slide shows, each
slide (each of which was a full-screen photo in its original .PPT form) has
been reduced in width and contains vertical one-inch black bands on each
side.

1.) Anyone know a work-around that allows the browser to remain open and
return to the "home page" after the slide show ends?

2.) Any ideas as to how to keep my .PPT photos from shrinking when saved as
a web page?

Thanks!

jim

Glen Millar

Jim,

First, I am not a fan of pack and go, but that's just me <g>.

I wonder why you went to html, apart from viewing issues? Would the
PowerPoint viewer not be better? Are you having problems opening the pdf's
from within PowerPoint? I'm thinking with version 2000, you could use the
old viewer, not have concernes about animations not working, and it
automatically should jump up and run full screen on a PC.

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Remove spaces from signature
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

James M. Haberman

Glen,

The reason I converted the .PPTs to webs was to permit the viewers of our CD
to view the slide shows without having to first install Powerpoint Viewer on
their system. I want our CD to be immediately viewable as is. My
understanding is that Powerpoint is unable to create self-executing
self-contained files that will play on systems on which Powerpoint Viewer
has not previously been installed.

In the case of the .PDFs, we are assuming that most users would have Adobe
Reader installed already. We do provide a "Get Adobe Reader" button on our
CD's "home page" for those who don't. If there is no other solution, we'll
do the same for Powerpoint Viewer, and convert the files back to .PPTs.

Any ideas?

jim

Glen Millar

Hi,

And thanks Sonia from me too, while I was fast asleep!

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Remove spaces from signature
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

James M. Haberman said:
Thanks, Sonia! That was very helpful.