Windows XP Control panel icons do not work

Reaction score
Running Windows XP Home on a laptop and found I was not able to use the add/remove programs icon in Control Panel. It will not respond. In fact I then found out that most of the icons do not respond.
Is there a quick fix?

Reaction score
DELETED PRIOR MESSAGE!

I have no idea about that problem but I am investigating.
Good luck. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Mike

Thanks for your help however I dont seem to be able to follow. I go to control panel and cannot find Edit Options. Am I missing something here??

Reaction score
Do an spyware scan if that does not work.

Click on start> run >cmd

On the command prompt type in sfc /purgecache

after the command completed put the windows xp cd in the drive and then type sfc /scannow on the command prompt

let the scan complete and once the bar dissapers just restart the system and ckeck to see if it works fine.

if it does not work let me know.

Reaction score
shandi63 said:
Hi Mike

Thanks for your help however I dont seem to be able to follow. I go to control panel and cannot find Edit Options. Am I missing something here??

Oh I am sorry. :confused:
I thought you were talking about the little icons for posting messages in this forum.

I have no idea about the problem you have encountered.

Reaction score
Hi "guys"

It now works, thanks karanhc. I see what you mean Mike, sorry to use the words control panel and assume people knew what I meant. I didnt even think about the "control panel' in this site.

Cheer everyone for the help.

Ask a Question