"Contacts" dont work in Outlook Express

Rainald Taesler

For a very long time I have been using the "Contacts" of Outlook
instead of the Windows Addressbook (WAB) in Outlook Express.

After having replaced OL 2003 by the OL 2007 Beta, I can no
longer get
the Contacts to show up in OE.
The Registry entry "UseOutlook" is the same as before.

Has anybody heard of the problem?
Does anybody know of a workaround for using the Outlook PST-data
again
in OE?

As I cannot keep my address data in sync otherwise, not being
able to
use the OL data in OE would mean that I'd have to say "Good bye"
to OE which I would really hate to do

Rainald

Roady [MVP]

Note that this is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum.

Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office
family.

Here is the link for the right forum
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...px?dg=microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general

Good Luck!

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

-----
For a very long time I have been using the "Contacts" of Outlook
instead of the Windows Addressbook (WAB) in Outlook Express.

After having replaced OL 2003 by the OL 2007 Beta, I can no
longer get
the Contacts to show up in OE.
The Registry entry "UseOutlook" is the same as before.

Has anybody heard of the problem?
Does anybody know of a workaround for using the Outlook PST-data
again
in OE?

As I cannot keep my address data in sync otherwise, not being
able to
use the OL data in OE would mean that I'd have to say "Good bye"
to OE which I would really hate to do

Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Roady said:
Note that this is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum.

I know. And that's why I posted here ;-)
The issue I'm suffering from is an issue of a changed behavior of
*Outlook*.
Nothing changed in OE.
Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the
Office family.

Whom do you tell this? ;-)

I had done so in the German OE forum a while ago.
They were quite furious because they think it has nothing to do with
OE and did only blame me for being so silly as to use the OL beta
[siiiiigh].

And the reaction in the group you sent the reference for was a bit
more friendly but it was not of help either:
Von: "Michael Santovec" <[email protected]>
Betreff: Re: Using Outlook Contacts does not work in OE after
upgrading to OL 2007
Datum: Samstag, 7. Oktober 2006 21:27

Officially, Microsoft stopped supporting that feature after Outlook
2000. But it still worked through Outlook 2003 via the registry hack.

To share Contacts between Outlook and Outlook Express
http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oeshare.htm

Since you are working with a beta version, who knows if it will work
in
the final version. Betas are often missing features were in prior
versions and will be in the final.

Your best bet would be to post in the Outlook Beta newsgroup to see if
anyone there knows, or can forward your issue to the Outlook
developers.
<<

It's very sad that I'm sent from Pontius to Pilatus and back.
Not too much fun running in circles and the people in each group just
saying "We are not responsible".

Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Roady said:
Note that this is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum.

Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the
Office
family.

Here is the link for the right forum
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...px?dg=microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general

Good Luck!

Roady,
can the good wishes ("Good Luck") really be the last word to be said
on this issue???

Is there any way to get through to the developers to ask them what
they have done and if their possibly would be a way to enable the
bridge again which did work for very many long years???

The combination of Outlook data and Outlook Express for sure was not
used by too many users (mostly because it was almost unknown that it
did work that fine), but it was a most valuable feature.

And IMO it would be worth to care about re-enabling the feature.

I know that quite some OE users would be really lost otherwise.

I think to have quite good reasons for using Outlook for Contacts and
Calendar and Tasks only but not for mail.
For my needs OE works far better.
And I want to keep with. But I can not if I can no longer use the
address data from Outlook. Is this so difficult to understand??

Please help me and do not leave me standing in the hard rain.

Rainald

Brian Tillman

Rainald Taesler said:
The combination of Outlook data and Outlook Express for sure was not
used by too many users (mostly because it was almost unknown that it
did work that fine), but it was a most valuable feature.

And IMO it would be worth to care about re-enabling the feature.

I know that quite some OE users would be really lost otherwise.

Why not use the "Send a Smile" tool available for OL 2007 and let the
Outlook developers know you'd like the feature retained.
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A2E1F4E2-BC0F-4403-B09F-7A677D55F274>

Rainald Taesler

Hal Hostetler said:
See if this page helps in the meantime:

http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oeshare.htm
To share Contacts between Outlook and Outlook Express

Thanks, Hal.
The registry settings have been like that when it worked with 2003 and
the still are the same.
So there is no difference on the side of OE.

Something has changed in *Outlook*. But I have no idea what.
Obviously it's some interface ...

Main problem:
- the OE Gurus say: "It's nothing in OE so it's not our job..."
- the OL folks say: "It's not *our* problem. OE is something of it's
own ..."

Thanks anyway
Rainald