Connected to internet icon missing!!

Les

Hello All

When I'm connected to the internet via USB broadband modem, there is no
(flashing monitors) icon displayed in the system tray to disconnect. At the
moment, the only way to disconnect is to reboot!

I am aware of the 'show icon in notification area when connected' checkbox
on one of the internet connection tabs, which is ticked, but this does not
make any difference. I'm running XP Home, with zone alarm and norton av
(if this helps!).

Please help!!

Regards
Les

peter

ZoneAlarm will stop all internet connections.
so if your not paying by the hour why disconnect??
peter

Carrie Garth

| "Les" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | When I'm connected to the internet via USB broadband modem, there is
| no (flashing monitors) icon displayed in the system tray to
| disconnect. At the moment, the only way to disconnect is to reboot!
|
| I am aware of the 'show icon in notification area when connected'
| checkbox on one of the internet connection tabs, which is ticked,
| but this does not make any difference. I'm running XP Home, with
| zone alarm and norton av (if this helps!).

To disconnect without rebooting try one of these:

Click Start, click Control Panel, select Network Connections,
right-click your connectoid, and then click Disconnect.

If you use Outlook Express, click [menu bar] File | Work Offline and
then click the Yes button when you are asked if you want to hang up.

Click Start, click Run, type the following command, click OK, and then
click the Hang Up button: rasphone

Create a shortcut with the following parameters and then double-click
it. Note, change NameOfYourConnectoid to the actual name of your
connection as seen in Network Connections:

rasphone.exe -h NameOfYourConnectoid

Big Mac

Les said:
When I'm connected to the internet via USB broadband modem, there is no
(flashing monitors) icon displayed in the system tray to disconnect. At the
moment, the only way to disconnect is to reboot!

I am aware of the 'show icon in notification area when connected' checkbox
on one of the internet connection tabs, which is ticked, but this does not
make any difference. I'm running XP Home, with zone alarm and norton av
(if this helps!).

Les, I see some people have given you some suggestions. This is new
to me (wanting to disconnect from the Internet when hooked up to a
boradband modem). I have been on broadband for a couple of months now
(from dial-up).

I thought, and my couple of friends who are on broadband thought, that
if your computer was turned on, then you are connected. & right from
boot-up, whether you open a browser window, or any window at all.

It seems to be this in my case anyway. When I open Internet Explorer
or Outlook Express, or a newsgroup reader, boom, the window opens & I
am on there is no turning on of anything. And I remember reading
about whether a 3rd party firewall comes on soon enough to protect
your computer when you boot up - if the second or two it takes for the
firewall to load leaves you open....

Big Mac