computer won't stay in standby mode

G

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: System won't stay in standby 3/22/2004 10:48 PM PST

By: PT (search by author) In: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

My WinXP Home power settings permit standby after 20 minutes. But when
wish to shut down overnight, I click Start | Turn Off Computer | Standby
The system tells me it's preparing to standby. The hard drive stops and th
monitor shuts down. Then, about ten seconds later, it awakens from standby

Why

--
P
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We Just upgraded from the old dial-up service to a cable modem. Now, with the always-on conection I've got the same thing happening. Disabling the internet connection will cause the system to stay in standby mode so I assume that there is a program trying to use the internet connection (even while in standby mode) that causes the system to "wake-up"

To disable the internet connection go to control panel/connections right click and select disable. seems like a lousey work-around. Does anyone else have any insights into this

Thanks
-Saturda

G

----- Saturday Morning wrote: ----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: System won't stay in standby 3/22/2004 10:48 PM PST

By: PT (search by author) In: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

My WinXP Home power settings permit standby after 20 minutes. But when
wish to shut down overnight, I click Start | Turn Off Computer | Standby
The system tells me it's preparing to standby. The hard drive stops and th
monitor shuts down. Then, about ten seconds later, it awakens from standby

Why

--
P
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We Just upgraded from the old dial-up service to a cable modem. Now, with the always-on conection I've got the same thing happening. Disabling the internet connection will cause the system to stay in standby mode so I assume that there is a program trying to use the internet connection (even while in standby mode) that causes the system to "wake-up"

To disable the internet connection go to control panel/connections right click and select disable. seems like a lousey work-around. Does anyone else have any insights into this

Thanks
-Saturda

I don't know if this will help or not, but I have my computer set to wake with the modem and I noticed a similar problem whenever I put it in standby or hibernate. Almost every time I entered a room it would start up again. Believe it or not it seems that turning on certain light switches in my house triggers the wake feature on my computer. Sometimes it also just comes on, on it's own from these states. I would suggest that if you have your computer set to wake on LAN or wake on modem, try turning these off and see if this helps. "Z"

R

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

Go into the computer BIOS, disable "wake on lan", see if that helps.
Otherwise, try updating the network card driver.

It is also possible that a program is actively seeking the 'net connection,
if so you may want to install a third-party firewall and try to detect what
is initiating this activity.

http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?la=EN

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows
Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!

Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone

G

Greg

Try This: Open up device manager (Control Panel, System, Hardware Tab,
Device Manager) And click on + for "Mice and other pointion devices". Right
click on your mouse and select "Properties". If there is a Power Management
Tab, select it and make sure that the Check Box that says "Allow this device
to bring computer out of standby" is not checked. If using Ethernet
connection for your cable modem, do the same thing for Network Adapters in
Device Manager. Now select your Keyboard in Device Manager and this time
make sure that the same Check Box is Checked. Now, to come out of Standby
Mode just hit any key on your keyboard. Hope this works for you.

G

My IBM deskto won't stay in standby mode beyond a few seconds. I have updated the appropriate drivers, uninstalled them and re-installed them but this doesn't help. Using XP Home edition.

Thoughts??

G

It Worked! - Thanks Greg!

I Opened the device manager and selected the lan modem properties. Then unchecked the box that says a allow to wake from standby...

FYI
to all, I found out you can also right click on the my computer icon from the desktop and select "manage" to open the device manager. then it's just a matter of hunting down which device is the modem and unchecking a little box.

thanks to everyone!

Ask a Question