Computer Not Booting

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

The computer I am working on is not booting into bios. The hard drive spools up and everything sounds normal but, the monitor just displays an amber light as if something was connected improperly. This is my Dad's computer and he said that one day it just stopped booting up. I don't know could be virus related something crapped out? I have tryed umplugging everything except 1 stick of ram, processor with and withought the HDD just to see if bios would boot and tell me that there was no HDD or CDrom detected. I have switched power supplyes and motherboards. The other mobo I tryed used higher grade ram and I used it accordingly. The other mobo also didn't have onboard video so i slapped another graphics card in it to see if it would bring up the bio screens. Still no boot up even into Bios. I am stuck! The computer's lights up and makes all the right noises... But the monitor stays black and just displays an amber light... PLEASE HELP!!!

-Mike

Reaction score
well... Here's the thing i dont have the speaker for the mobo plugged in... Ima goto the manufactures site and get the manual so i can pop it in... I will get back to ya all if in fact there is no "beep" ... Thanks for the info

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Need i say more.......

New cpu and mboard for you my friend....

Reaction score
ok put in new mobo with compatible ram and processor... Came right up... I think it is gonna take a new stick of ram and a processor to get my dad back up... I have the new mobo but the ram and processor I used were from my personal computer (The mobo was an extra one that I used to use on my personal setup)... Thanks for your help and support though... byee =]

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
:eek: Well, just my luck... SAME EXACT THING JUST HAPPENED TO ME NOW. Here i was taking apart my computer and cleaning it with air in a can, I throw everything together and... nothing. I figure it was just a wiring problem, but it wasent. Graphics card works, not sure on everything else though...Arrghh!! by the way... Will a Magnetiesed (magnet) Screwdrive damaged the components:confused: cause i just found out it was one. I need help!!

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I always use one...

i always use a magnatised screwdriver! I do not think that I have an unmagnatised one, funny that maybe its time to invest in one of them!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hah! so a magnatised screw driver wont damage components, thats good to hear. i wonder whats wrong with my computer then...

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Ok,ok.... Big Problem here. My computer wont work!! Grahpics card works but system wont boot up! I dont hear a beep sound either i figure its one or more items that are malfunctioning or dead, the CPU, motherboard, or HDD. How would i find out which on is a dead, if any?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you're having problems. I had the same prob, turned out to be the cpu, and i know how anoying it is!
Just for the record i was told never to use a magnatised screwdriver, it can damage the data on the hard drive. Come to think of it i am sure it was in this website. Dont quote me though i am still learning new things all the time.

Reaction score
psd99 said:
i always use a magnatised screwdriver! I do not think that I have an unmagnatised one, funny that maybe its time to invest in one of them!
Nah... They suck! if you drop a screw into a small space you are ahem...**Screwed** without one ;)

Reaction score
Wow. I thought i was the only one. So, here is my problem, i opened up my computer. Yr.2000 Dell Optiplex GX1. opened up everything, changed the floppy dish wire, and put it in. Without closing the case, i attached it to power and tried booting it. It didn't boot. Then, i put on the case and tried it again, same problem. I had an older Compaq, so i took the power supply box from there and tried it on my Dell. Still didnt boot. It clearly isnt the problem of the power supply. Everything is in place, triple checked, 512MB Ram, 6.4GB Maxtor HDD, P3 500Mhz Processor, internal video and sound card, everything is in place, im sure. I dont see the problem though. This is driving me nuts because i have to use my computer for school work. :mad: I didnt do anything else, this is my problem. PLEASE HELP!!! Any ideas, reply or email at (e-mail address removed) . Thanks A LOT!!

Reaction score
hmm...strangely i am having the same problem.
It all began one day when i was watching a movie and the color on the screen went distorted and my comp froze.So, i had restarted the computer inorder to get on with my work however, it wont simply boot up. I checked the power supply with a digital meter , and it was working. so i went and bought a videocard belieiving that the color distortion could be a reason of short circuit on my agp card. But, the computer is still not booting getting new card.the fan , hdd is working, and even the motherboard's led lights up, still there is no booting and the monitor remains blank.
After some trial n errors, i connected the power supply to the floppy drive after which the computer power doesnt not turn on. so i removed the floppy disk connection. and now, the computer fan is not turning on.Moreover,i replaced the cmos battery ( just in case) , still nothing!!!!!
AGH
very frustrated

Reaction score
What if i start the com up but it begins beeping like crazy? The problem started when I powered down the com after a blue screen of death (physical memory dump cleared), then the com would power up but not boot up bios. (still makes a beep when powered up) Then, after one more restart, the monitor refused to turn on at all and the computer makes an insistent beeping tone, like it's repeatedly trying to boot up but keeps failing. I've tried changing the graphics card, as well as removing all but 1 ram chip, but the com still won't boot up.

Ask a Question