Computer Crashes

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
(i think this goes here)

yesterday when i was editing some vide clips my computer crashed about 4 times in 3 hours and again today several times it did the same, also it just did it when i tried to play GTA3.
it doesnt really crash and give me a blue screen just freezes and i have to press reset.

i was running XP SP1 yesterday and now SP2
3Ghz P4
1GB Ram
Radeon 9600
Asus P4C800 Deluxe
(Asus Probe Reads About 35 degrees C)

i tried system restore and it still does it.

could it be to do with the Ram or heat? or a bug somewhere?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Asuming your PSU's meaty enough to power everything, the freezing could be any one of a number of reasons, sorry to say :(

I just had a spate of that on my daughter's machine, it was caused by adware/spyware, so running AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy and a good Anti-Virus program would be a good start.

Did the problem occur before installing SP2?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
As floppy said, freezing could be any one of a number of reasons. :(

However, go and have a look as to what may be causing the problem via ...

Control panel\performance & maintenance\adminstrative tools\event viewer\system

... it should give you an idea.

:thumb:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
there's no adaware or spyware and yes it was happening before i installed SP2 im not sure what the PSU is as it is just a generic one that came with the case that im thinking of changing

as for the event viewer it just says 'application hang' so it must be a bug in the program

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
can u tell us what it says on the blue error screen?

give us details on that..........

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
can u tell us what it says on the blue error screen?

give us details on that..........
Originally posted by Me_2001:

it doesnt really crash and give me a blue screen just freezes and i have to press reset.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Im thinking its the heat, but your temp is good... perhaps the PSU as floppy said

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I changed my AGP aperture the other day when I got my ram increase. I made the aperture higher because in a magazine (PC Format) it said the aperture should be set to a half or quater of your total ram size, so i set it to 256 and I kept getting blue screen. I wacked it back down and i havent had a prob since.

This probably might not be ur problem, but im just trouble shooting!

Also how many sticks of ram you have, is it just 1 stick of 1 gig? or 2x512, 4x256, 2x256 and a 512? All the same make or odd?

If you have some odd sticks, they do sometimes like to freeze up your comp, just to be a pain! I had a problem years ago with some old PC133 SD Ram on a motherboard. It wouldnt let me have 2X256 and a 512, but it let me have 2x512 :\.

Try with just 1 stick of ram 1st, see how it does, then go to 2 see how it does and then 3. I know its a pain, but its the only way you can tick it off the list of possibilitys :(.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
I have 2x512 sticks that are the same

i've done the video now and it has stopped doing it, i can play all my games for a good hour or so and the temp doesn't go much above 45 degrees C, i can watch the video in WMP10 no problem so it must be to do with the Windows movie maker, i think i'll stay away from it from now on!

Ask a Question