computer boots, then powers off within a few seconds

Reaction score
Specs:
Asus P4P800-E Deluxe mobo
p4 HT 3Ghz
seagate 7200 rpm ultra-ATA 80gb
western digital 7200 rpm ultra-ATA 200gb
ATI RADEON 9880 pro 128 mb
OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 dual channel kit 1024 mb (1gb)
Zalman heat sink CNPS7000A-Cu
Codegen 400W power supply

This computer is brand spanking new. The problem: I am able to power up, maybe for about 5 seconds, then it shuts off. I was getting a message of "overclocking failed", but i have never overclocked, in the bios i left the overclocking function as standard. I was also getting a message of cpu fan failed, so i disconnected the fanmate which comes with the zalman, which enables me to go from loud to silent operation, and i connected the cpu fan directly to the mobo. that message dissapeared. but i'm still having the same problem of powering off without me telling it to do so.

Please help me...i just want to be able to unleash this monster of a pc

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd suggest reseting the CMOS, if its got confused about the multiplier/fsb then you may be experiencing over heating.

Also, I'd try and boot the system with another PSU, see if you can borrow one, as resets/shudowns can often be caused by a dodgy power supply.

Also, check the memory you have is compatible with your motherboard, modern memory and boards are often -really- fussy about which brands they will and wont take.

Let us know how you get on.

Reaction score
does is still shut off if you boot to the BIOS?

if not then, check settings in BIOS.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Your BIOS still seems wrong ... check it again and set anything that can be set to auto.

Why aren’t you using the HSF that came with your CPU? If I were you I would. If the "fan sensor" cannot "see" the fan working it will shut the system down. Fortunately a PIV will also protect itself by shutting down if it thinks there is not sufficient cooling.

This is not the first time I've seen this problem with that Asus board. :(

Reaction score
Matt, it turned out you were right. It was the PSU which was giving the problem. I repleaced it with an Antec...Now it's doing wonders.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Ask a Question