Compressing video

G

I have down loaded about 25 minutes of digital video from my camera, it takes up about 3GB of space, now how do I go about compressing it to a more reasonable size?? I mean a DVD can hold a whole movie in great quality for under half this size?

Chris.

PS I dont have a DVD burner yet. And my DVD player plays VCD's.

G

What Stuart is referring to is the very fine Tsunami MPEG encoder software available in 30 day trials. A google search for "tmpgenc" should direct you to the site. It encodes in MPEG2 which is the DVD format. MPEG 1 is not as good a quality video so use MPEG2 and it will play on almost all DVD players and PC's.
Sincerely
digipi
----- stuart wrote: ----

use tmpgenc its free and it will make your file into Mpeg 1
http://www.tmpgenc.ne

All the best

G

OK I down loaded the software and compressed the file. Windows media player won't play it, tries to down load a codec but says it can't find one? And my DVD player gives me a disc error? Any ideas?? I used roxio cd software to burn it and it didn't recoganize the video clip as a VCD file??? By the way it took 18 hours to encode

thanks for your help

----- digipix wrote: ----

What Stuart is referring to is the very fine Tsunami MPEG encoder software available in 30 day trials. A google search for "tmpgenc" should direct you to the site. It encodes in MPEG2 which is the DVD format. MPEG 1 is not as good a quality video so use MPEG2 and it will play on almost all DVD players and PC's.
Sincerely
digipi

All the best

G

It is not a VCD file after encoding with Tsunami. The extension should be .mpg and if it is, you have done everything right up to that point. Long rendering times are typical for Tsunami especially if you use the noise filter. Use Easy CD Creator 6 and select the DVD Builder feature. Also, get Power DVD to play the file on your PC, and make sure you have the latest version of WMP. For WMP to find a codec to play DVDs you have to be connected to the internet. Just in case you don't know it, you also must have a DVD burner and some blank DVD media to record on. CDs don't work for mpeg files that's why you got a disc error. You seem to have mismatched formats. If you want to burn VCD's, use Roxio or Nero and import the original file (before encoding with Tsunami) in, then follow the directions. I have burned VCDs using Roxio 5 but the quality does not approach that of DVDs. Tsunami= MPEG2= DVDs. Good luck. No one said it would be easy
Sincerely
digipix

----- Chris wrote: ----

OK I down loaded the software and compressed the file. Windows media player won't play it, tries to down load a codec but says it can't find one? And my DVD player gives me a disc error? Any ideas?? I used roxio cd software to burn it and it didn't recoganize the video clip as a VCD file??? By the way it took 18 hours to encode. You must have the latest version of WMP so it can play an MPEG2 file, free from MS. Try using Power DVD to play it on your PC. You cannot burn DVD movies using Roxio EZCD Creator 5. Get the version 6 and use the DVD Builder feature.

thanks for your help

----- digipix wrote: ----

Sincerely
digipi

All the best

Ask a Question