Seagate Barracuda 120GB
DVD+-RW
DVD-Rom
1.44MB floppy
256Mb Asus Geforce FX5700
Digital TV card
Thermaltake case PSU and keyboard mouse
Thermaltake silent boost K7 Cooler

im thinking of using Adata or Kingmax PC3200 ram will either of these be ok or do i need to save for some ocz or corsair and is that cooler ok for my cpu and would Windows Xp be better than 98Se

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
...is that cooler ok for my cpu
Buy the "retail" CPU and you'll get an AMD approved HSF with it ... if your not going down the OC route then problem solved. ;)

... do i need to save for some ocz or corsair
Nope. :rolleyes:

... would Windows XP be better than 98Se
Oh god please, NOT 98se (its 60 yeas old), do yourself a favour and go with XP ... you won’t be sorry. :cool:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
how much OC will the "retail" HSF put up with before it needs changing? if i need the to use the thermaltake will i need a thermal grease/compound/adhesive/pads? i dont really know the difference

the cpu is a thoroughbred core @ 333FSB is that ok someone said something about a barton.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I don't support OCing any CPU ... if I want to go faster I buy a faster CPU. There's a lot more to it then just turning up the revs on the CPU.

The 'retail' HSF is copper-cored anyway and is as quiet as a mouse ... why not try it and see. Try both, bet you opt for the one that came with the CPU

One note of caution ... there has been a influx of "re-badge" CPUs hitting the market, 2000s remarked as 2700s, the only way to be sure you have got what you bought is to by 'retail' not OEM ... even some distributors have been caught out.

Also note that AMD moved the goal posts and will only accept warrantee if your CPU has an approved HSF. (that means, one of there's)

... will i need a thermal grease/compound/adhesive/pads
Not with the 'retail' it will have a pad ... AMD only approve thermal pads ... If you go the route of thermaltake then it too should "come as a complete package" if it don't then any is as good as the other in my view.

And you can argue till your blue in the face ... thermal compounds do the same job, there all the bloody same. ;) The beauty of the 'pad' is you don’t make a mess and you use the right amount. :brow:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i've found a "retail" 2600 for the same as the 2700 but it seems a better deal so i'll get that, also im gonna get the kingmax Ram as its a matched pair. thanks for your help.

Ask a Question