Cold boot P4PE should I just live with it?

Colin

I"m just wondering if it's worth it, to disassemble the board and send it
back to Asus. I only have the cold boot problem maybe once a week or
less(otherwise very happy with the board). Will the cold boot issue shorten
the life of the board? I can live with it if I get a full life out of the
board. It just seems like such a hassle to take it all apart and then have
to put it all together again.

I welcome any suggestions
Colin

Windows XP home with SP1
P4PE motherboard
2.4b P4 cpu
512 meg ram Crucial 1 stick
120 gig Western Digital WD1200jb-00cra1 HD
80 gig Maxtor 6L080L4 HD
Leadtek Ti4200 GeForce 4 video card
Soundblaster live value audio card
Plextor 48/24/48 cdrw
Toshiba sd-m1502 dvd drive
USR 56k pci voice modem
Enermax whisper 465 watt power supply
NEC FE700+ monitor
Canon S600 Printer
Canon D660U Scanner

Bill

[...]

Count in the down-time and it could be a long time
getting you running again. Mine hasn't ever failed
to start on the second try and the random no-start
doen't bug me. I just upgraded to a 3.06P4 and it
fired right up. But --- every now and then it doesn't.
Bill

Russell

The cold boot doesn't happen to my P4PE too often, but what bugs me is
that when I go to sell it (when it comes time to upgrade), I won't be
able to get a good price for it with this defect.

I've had mine for a long time now and I don't even know if they would
offer an exchange. Figure that in with the down time and it's a sad
situation.

I'd buy Asus again, but next time I'll wait till a motherboard been out
a little longer to see if any problems pop up.

Russell

Colin

Thanks for the reply guys. I have a call into Asus, if they ever call me
back I'll let you all know what they say. I've had the board for about a
year and I understand there is a 3 year warranty so I won't worry till the
warranty is about to run out. Hopefully it won't get any worse.

Thanks again
Colin

Dale Hall

I too am having this 'Cold Boot' problem, this is the first time i have come
to these forums, i see now it is fault with the P4PE, i have tried countless
ways to stop it without success.

Strangely my previous Abit motherboard started doing this fault after about
2 years, but i just got worse and worse over 6 months until in the end it
would not start up at all. So far the problem on my asus P4PE hasn't got any
worse, it sometimes works ok for a few weeks, then will do it 3 or 4 times
in 1 week!

dale

seeker

hI ALL.

Actually..I have virtually the same system as described. I bought the
P4PE brd about 6 months ago, tested it, but then got busy and never
fully used it. Then I went to set up the system fully and I too had
the cold-boot issue...the longer the time since it was shutdown...the
worse the chance that the trouble would occur.

Last week I said enough is enough and RMA'd the board back to ASUS.

For all of you, I'll post my reults when I get the board back..

I kinda hope it's the same board > I marked and noted a lot of data so
I expect to see what the did...hopefully something...now, it becomes
the principle of the thing!!!!

The final straw was the crazy behavior of no video, cpu fan on, no
beep, no KB init (no leds flash) and even the RESET switch didn't have
a result. The last time I just let it sit...and after about 5 minutes
the system shut down. Seems like it must either be a bad design,
com,ponent out of spec or a bad Power_on_Reset design. I heard a
couple of folks say the ICH4 IC was a bad batch?

I searched all over the web, found a lot of folks with the problem and
no one with a solution. Seems to me....Asus must have had enough
returns that they know what is wrong.

Seeker

Jim in Canada

Purchased my P4PE, must be almost a year ago, when they first came out.
Never had a cold boot problem.

Windows XP Home SP1 (lots of other softeware installed)
2.8 GHz PIV CPU
2x512 Meg Kingston RAM
120 GIG WD 7200 RPM w/8meg cache
80 GIG Maxtor (couldn't get rid of the 60 GIG Seagate Baracuda fast enough)
ATI AIW Pro 9000 64
Onboard sound enabled and sounds great :)
LG 16/10/40 cdrw
Fujitsu Seimens DVD Rom
US Robotics 56k data fax modem
TruePower 380Watt ATX12V power supply
Antec Overture Case

Jim

Gary

I also purchased a P4PE as soon as they were released. I had trouble finding
a vendor that had one and I have never had a cold boot issue. There are a
lot of people that have this problem with this board. Just a guess but it
does seem to me they had run of bad chips installed on these boards. This
would drive me crazy if I had a problem like this. I was lucky I guess. I
feel for you people that have this problem.

crypto

Purchased my P4PE, must be almost a year ago, when they first came out.
Never had a cold boot problem.

Windows XP Home SP1 (lots of other softeware installed)
2.8 GHz PIV CPU
2x512 Meg Kingston RAM
120 GIG WD 7200 RPM w/8meg cache
80 GIG Maxtor (couldn't get rid of the 60 GIG Seagate Baracuda fast enough)
ATI AIW Pro 9000 64
Onboard sound enabled and sounds great :)
LG 16/10/40 cdrw
Fujitsu Seimens DVD Rom
US Robotics 56k data fax modem
TruePower 380Watt ATX12V power supply
Antec Overture Case

Jim

"Colin" <[email protected]> wrote in message

I bought my P4PE in Oct. of 2002 and have never had a cold bood issue
with it. It has been rock solid since then and I still use it every
day. I guess some P4PE boards are fine and some are not.

2x512 Mushkin DDR333
3 hard drives
DVD ROM and DVD burner
Leadtek 4200 card
SB Audigy
Antec True 550 power supply
Antec 1080 case

Jim in Canada

I haven't been in the BIOS of my P4PE for awhile (ATI Pro 9000 will not let
me while viewing with my TV), but is there a boot delay option? I have read:

"If you have the combination of a PC that boots up quickly, and a hard disk
that takes a relatively long time to spin up, your BIOS may start trying to
boot the operating system before the hard disk is read. A giveaway to this
problem is the computer that won't boot when first powered on but will boot
seconds later if the reset button is pressed."
"If your BIOS has this option, you can specify a time in seconds to delay
the boot process. This is normally disabled, and should be unless you are
experiencing this problem."

Maybe?
Jim