Code causes Deleted - Unread read receipt.

• Thread starter Maike13 via OfficeKB.com
  • Start date
M

Maike13 via OfficeKB.com

I'm using Outlook 2002 SP2 and I'm pretty new to VBA so excuse me if this is an elementary question. I hope someone can help with this small but annoying problem.

When I use code to move an e-mail message from the Inbox to a folder in the Inbox, and the sender has requested a Read Receipt, the code causes a "Your message To: .... was deleted without being read on ...." message to be returned to the sender.

Is this normal? Is there a way around it? (see sample code below)

thanks
Mike

Here's some very simple sample code that illustrates the problem. I empty my Inbox, send myself a message with the "For all messages I send, request Read Receipt" option enabled. Then I run the code and it generates the "Your message To: .... was deleted without being read on ...." receipt. The moved message still displays as Unread (is bold), but doesn't generate a Read receipt when I open it.

Private Sub simpleMove()

'This sub moves the first item in the Inbox to a folder
'in the Inbox called "TEST". If "TEST" doesn't already
'exist, it's created

Dim myMsg As MailItem
Set myOlApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set myNameSpace = myOlApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
Set myInbox = myNameSpace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox)
Set myMsg = myInbox.Items(1)
On Error Resume Next
Set mySubFolder = myInbox.Folders.Add("TEST")
Set mySubFolder = myInbox.Folders("TEST")
myMsg.Move (mySubFolder)

End Sub

PS. I know this simple move can be done with a rule, but the actual code I'm writing is more involved and can't be handled using rules.

K

Ken Slovak

It's normal depending on the settings you've established in the UI for
processing receipts in Outlook.

You could always mark the item as read before you move it. The item will
have an Unread property that can be set to False.

Ask a Question