Close To 410 MB missing in temp files!!

Bradd

Hi, I have Windows Vista Home Basic running on my laptop, and for the last
few days I've been noticing that I'm unable to rename Folders. Files work
perfectly, but when i try renaming a folder nothing really happens.Anyway
today in the morning, i found a folder called PendingRenames in
C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp with a size nearing a massive 410 MB. When i tried
deleting the folder, the error message said i do not have sufficient
previledges (inspite of running as Admin). So i tried "Taking Ownership" of
trhe folder, and my laptop crashed. I tried it once more, again with the same
results. I tried deleting the folder through DOS but was given an "access
denied" for each of the 3000 or something files and before the entire listed
could be read the laptop crashed again, this time leading to the Blue Screen.

Could someone tell me how to get rid of that folder because its eating up my
precious disk space. Also any clue as to why Vista won't let me rename
folders?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
Looking forward to receiving anything that would help!

JerryM

Something to try,

Right click CMD.EXE and select Run As Administrator.
Then type CD\ to put you in the root directory.
Change to the directory (Folder) you want, and try deleting or renaming the
folder again.

Bradd

No luck Jerry! I have CMD pinned to my Start Menu and runs as an
Administrator. When i tried renaming the folder i was given an access denied
message.

When i tried to delete the folder, CMD started the process on each of those
files, i mean the text was scrollin by really fast, but all i could make out
was the Acess Denied message, and then the system crashed.

JerryM

Hi, Bradd,

This is possibly one of those folders that is locked into the OS and can't
be changed.
But one more thing to try,
Then type delete *.*/S
Then try to delete the folder again.

Jerry

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
You should not be deleting files in that folder.
Have you rebooted the machine lately? Shutdown and restart?
Does it make any difference to the number and or size of the files in that
folder?
That folder should be updates that are in the process of being installed.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?QnJhZGQ=?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Close To 410 MB missing in temp files!!
|> Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 17:10:00 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|>
|> No luck Jerry! I have CMD pinned to my Start Menu and runs as an
|> Administrator. When i tried renaming the folder i was given an access
denied
|> message.
|>
|> When i tried to delete the folder, CMD started the process on each of
those
|> files, i mean the text was scrollin by really fast, but all i could make
out
|> was the Acess Denied message, and then the system crashed.

Bradd

Hey Jerry. Tried it...... no luck! Still getting the access denied message. I
interupted the process by hitting CTRL + C because i was afraid it would lead
to another crash! Just text scrolling by at the speed of light, with the
access denied message. Ah man, this thing is getting me mad!

Yo Darrel. Dont think its got anything to do with updates, because the
folder name's PendingRenames and i have been having the folder renaming
problem lately. BTW, how do i fix the problem with Vista not letting me
rename folders?

Thnks for any help!

JerryM

Bradd, have you tried booting up in SAFE mode to see if you can delete the
TEMP file?

Jerry

Bradd

Oh snap! Didn't think of that, will try it out as soon as i get this
presentation done!

Thanks!