Windows XP Clear hard drive? How to Uninstall and Reinstall???

tan

Reaction score
I have a Dell laptop and I'm trying to wipe everything off the hard drive. I want to uninstall the Windows XP Professional OS and then reinstall it back on. How is this done?

I have a Reinstallation CD for Windows XP Professional, which I have installed, but it did not erase the hard drive. What else do I need to do?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Careful. I'm not sure if that 're-installation' CD is a full copy of Windows XP.

I have an idea it isn't.

In which case it's unlikely you'll be able to erase your hard disk.

Normal procedure, with most normal computers, would be boot from XP CD and when option appears on screen, format the hard disk and do a fresh install.

But that's a Dell, isn't it?

Sorry, but I know bugger-all about Dell except once you buy one of their machines they got you by the goolies unless you read the small print :)

I hope some other learned person other than myself comes along to help you.

Perhaps Mucks will have an answer.

He's really fond of laptops, Windows XP and Dell :nod:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Perhaps Mucks will have an answer.

He's really fond of laptops, Windows XP and Dell :nod:
Oh yeah, sure ... sarky bugger. :p

The answer is easy, go and buy a real copy of XP ... you could ask Dell where your's is, but I think you will find they don't have any. :)

:thumb:

Reaction score
If you buy a copy of XP will it pick up all the devices in a Dell Laptop? Not sure what the drivers database is like on XP, whether it will find EVERYTHING? :-/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you boot from the CD, or just run it in Windows? I've got a re-installation CD and it is identical to a normal WinXP boot CD?

tan

Reaction score
It was a real copy of XP...wasn't it? It came with the computer.

And, I booted it from the CD.

I just need to make sure all personal data, etc. is off of my computer. Is there an easier way to do this or to make sure it's all off. I've cleared histories, cookies, etc.

Just didn't know if some super pc guru could go in there and find files even if all that stuff was done.

Thanks!

Ask a Question