Changing local disk letter

Reaction score
My computer has 2 'local' disk, C: and D: Local disk C: contains all the programs, files etc and has a capacity of 18.6 GB. This disk is almost completely full even after disk cleanup and removing programs etc.
Local disk D: has a capacity of 60 GB and is hardly used. What I want to do is put all the stuff from C: onto D: and to change drive letters, effectively using what is currently D: as the C: drive.
Is this possible and if so how can I do it?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You could make "D" into two partitions 10 GB and 50GB . Put all the contents pof "D" into the 50 GB . Move as much stuff rom "C" to the new "D" . Merge the 10 GB with"C" creating a new "C" 28 GB .

Your OS needs to be in the first partition "C" as a general rule . Playing around with partitions is fairly straight forward but if you get it wrong you can loose all your stuff and end up having to do a clean install . It pays to read up on the program you will use and double check every move . A pen and paper comes in very handy .

nod.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Is there any reason why it should be 50/10 or can it be any combination? I only use D: for documents and pictures so it doesn't need to be massive.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Make your partiton sizes to suit your self . I only have my os and program files on the C drive , everything else is kept on other drives .

happywave.gif

Ask a Question