Changing an image into an .ico

Dave Neve

Hi

I've managed to change an image into an icon before but I can't remember for
the life of me how I did it.

What's the trick or software to do it with?

Thanks

Steve Shattuck

I've managed to change an image into an icon before but I can't remember
for the life of me how I did it.
What's the trick or software to do it with?

Unlike previous versions of Windows which could only use .ICO files as icons
and thus to use an image it had to be converted, XP can also use a .jpg file
as an icon directly, no conversion needed.

Larry(LJL269)

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 12:54:40 -0400, "Steve Shattuck"

|Unlike previous versions of Windows which could only use .ICO files as icons
|and thus to use an image it had to be converted, XP can also use a .jpg file
|as an icon directly, no conversion needed
Didnt work on my PC- tried to replace 1 folder's icon
with jpg but kept getting "no icon files in x.jpg"

Just my 2¢ worth. Larry
Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

Richard Urban

Why don't you enlighten the OP as to how to do this trick?

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Richard Urban

Yes, I know that is supposed to work. Have you tried it? Are you able to
take a standard .jpg file, change it's extension to .ico - and then use it
as an icon for say, a desktop folder. I can not. I get a popup that say's
the file XXXXXXX.ico contains no icons!

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Larry(LJL269)

Yes, I know that is supposed to work. Have you tried it? Are you able to
take a standard .jpg file, change it's extension to .ico - and then use it
as an icon for say, a desktop folder. I can not. I get a popup that say's
the file XXXXXXX.ico contains no icons!
I got same result ( or lack thereof) :)

Just my 2¢ worth. Larry

Any advise given is my attempt to show appreciation for all
the excellent help I've received here but I'm no MVP so it
may only apply NUGS (Normally, Usually, Generally, Sometimes :)

Kelly

Hi Richard,

Yes, I have tried it and just tried it again. Thanks to this test, now my
script folder has the picture of my oldest son! I may just keep it there
until the rest get jealous. :blush:)

Steps I used:

Renamed a .jpg found in My Documents to .ico
Right clicked a folder/Change Icon/Browse....

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Richard Urban

I wonder why that doesn't work on my systems.

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Ron Sommer

What is the size of the image that you are changing to an icon?
One article said to use 16 pixels by 16 pixels.

Peter Foldes

I can not. I get a popup that say's
the file XXXXXXX.ico contains no icons!

Richard

Try and take a .jpg file Directly *not* in the box and change the .jpg to .ico

Larry(LJL269)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 06:13:13 -0400, "Richard Urban"

|I wonder why that doesn't work on my systems.
MS admits giving MVPs tools not available to rest of
us but does NOT say that majic wands r included :)

Larry
Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

David Candy

She probably used a bitmap and not a jpeg. Windows is designed to use bitmaps as icons (as icons are just files with one or more bitmaps in them)

Kelly

Nope!