    is there a way out? i am the administrator.

    thanks for any help please.

    ramesh

    Ramesh, Sep 28, 2007

  2. Ramesh

    Malke Guest

    Ramesh wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am currently logged on. i changed my password but have forgotten what i
    > typed. i need to change it again but i dont know the current password.
    >
    > is there a way out? i am the administrator.

    If you have forgotten your password, if you have another user account
    with administrative privileges you can log into that account and change
    your original user account's password from the User Accounts applet in
    Control Panel. If you don't have another account like this set up or
    don't have the password to it, you'll need to log into the built-in
    Administrator account. In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do
    this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up.
    This will get you to the right menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key;
    the mouse will not work here. Once in Safe Mode, you will see the
    normally hidden Administrator account. The default password is a blank.

    In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen,
    do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in
    "Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up Windows.

    If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or
    have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the
    built-in Administrator account's password to a blank.

    Then go to the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and set passwords
    that you will remember and make other desired changes.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Sep 28, 2007

  3. Ramesh

    Ramesh Guest

    Thanks Mike that was very valuable.

    I dont have any other admin id setup. and am also not sure if i remember
    the password of the administrator at the time of setup. (XPPro).

    since am already logged on, cant i simply create another admin id, then log
    on from that id and change the password of the my user. Seems to make sense
    to me, but awaiting your confirmation before logout. Once i log out of this
    session, I ll be damned if i cant find a way to get back in.

    Thanks very much for your support.

    Ramesh

    Ramesh, Sep 28, 2007
  4. Ramesh

    Ramesh Guest

    Mike, i took a chance and did it .. It worked simple and fine. Created a
    new id. Logged on new id and changed the password. AND WROTE IT DOWN. :)

    For a moment i thought i was in for a nightmare.

    Thanks again
    Ramesh

    Ramesh, Sep 28, 2007
  5. Ramesh

    Malke Guest

    Ramesh wrote:
    > Thanks Mike that was very valuable.
    >
    > I dont have any other admin id setup. and am also not sure if i remember
    > the password of the administrator at the time of setup. (XPPro).
    >
    > since am already logged on, cant i simply create another admin id, then log
    > on from that id and change the password of the my user. Seems to make sense
    > to me, but awaiting your confirmation before logout. Once i log out of this
    > session, I ll be damned if i cant find a way to get back in.

    Just log into the Administrator account and change your user account
    password from there. Since you are apparently already logged in
    somewhere (where? in an account with administrative privileges?), why
    don't you just change the built-in Administrator's password from where
    you are?

    Start>Run>mmc [enter]
    Start the Local Users and Groups snap-in
    Under Console Root, expand "Local Users and Groups" and click on "Users"
    Users will appear on the right - right-click the entry for Administraor
    and choose "Set Password"
    Click "proceed", type and confirm the new password - WHICH YOU WILL
    WRITE DOWN SO AS NOT TO FORGET IT - and OK out.

    Then log into the built-in Administrator account and make whatever
    changes you need to the user accounts.

    Malke

    Malke, Sep 28, 2007
  6. Ramesh

    Malke Guest

    Ramesh wrote:
    > Mike, i took a chance and did it .. It worked simple and fine. Created a
    > new id. Logged on new id and changed the password. AND WROTE IT DOWN. :)
    >
    > For a moment i thought i was in for a nightmare.

    It's "Malke", not "Mike" but that's OK. I'm glad you got this sorted.
    Thanks for taking the time to post back.

    Malke

    Malke, Sep 28, 2007