Change default tooltip color

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Guest, Jun 22, 2006.

    Does anybody know how to change default tooltip color for all users who log
    onto a system?

    Guest, Jun 22, 2006

  2. The registry key is:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors

    and the value to change is InfoWindow. It is an RGB (Red Green Blue) value.

    To change for all users, you would have to change the Default User profile
    for all future new accounts. The current accounts, you would have to do
    manually, or use Regedit and Load each user's Hive and change the value.

    You can create a .reg file that modifies HKEY_USERS\MyUser\Control
    Panel\Colors InfoWindow value.
    Then all you have to do is Load each users Hive under HKEY_USERS\MyUser and
    run the .reg file, unload the hive and then do then next user.

    You could also use the Command Prompt REG.EXE command and create a batch
    file and run in for all users on a system.

    Larry Gardner, Jun 23, 2006

  3. Steve,

    This is a per-user setting.

    How to Change the Font, Size, and Colors of Desktop Items:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310543

    To apply the setting to the other user accounts, you may create a REG file
    (example below)

    - - - - - - - - - - -
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors]
    "InfoWindow"="255 255 225"

    - - - - - - - - - - -

    OTOH if you want to change the default user profile template, see:

    How to create a custom default user profile:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974

    --
    Regards,

    Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
    Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Jun 23, 2006
  4. Ramesh:

    How does he change it for all current users?

    Larry Gardner, Jun 23, 2006
  5. Hi Larry,

    Using one of these ways:

    1. GPO (for Domain)
    2. Using the REG LOAD /? command-line to load NTUSER.DAT
    3. Merging the REG file under each user account

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Jun 23, 2006

    Using a gpo for the domain is what I would prefer. I have not been able to
    locate a gpo settting for this. Is there a gpo in active directory that I may
    have missed?

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Guest, Jun 23, 2006
  7. Steve,

    Option 3 may be what you're looking for.

    Distributing Registry Changes in Windows 2000:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/maintain/operate/distreg.mspx#EAHAC

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Jun 23, 2006
  8. Well, it says:

    Templates have the following limitations:
    ..Policies are limited to the settings available in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    and HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry subkeys.
    ..You can't reference a registry key that requires binary data.

    Therefore, we'll rule out the ADM option. Other option is to use a logon
    script (regedit.exe /s filename.reg), but it runs under user privileges,
    requiring user access to regedit.

    Also try the question in the following groups to learn if there is a method
    available:

    microsoft.public.windows.group_policy
    microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Jun 23, 2006
  9. Can't he use a login batch file, that's uses the reg.exe command, for each
    existing user account? The batch file could be placed on a server and
    accessible by all.

    Larry Gardner, Jun 23, 2006