CD-Rom

My cd-rom will not open to insert a cd..by checking event propeties, I see an
error msg of cdrom0 has a bad block..what can I do about that?

JS

Take a small paper clip and make one end straight. There is a small hole
located on the front of the CD drive, insert the clip and push.
This should open the drive, but if the drive has failed then open or not you
have trouble. So if you are able to open it insert a black CD to test it,
that way you won't lose the CD.

Also does the CD light blink on and off during boot-up? If it does at least
you are getting power to the device.

JS

Hi, sorry for late reply; I've tried all you suggested, and also unplugged
the system, and tried w/ clip, still nothing. Although, I am getting power to
the device.
J.O.

JS

Well if the drive won't open using the paper clip and it is getting power as
indicated by the CD drive LED blinking then I think something has jammed and
prevented the drive tray from opening. You may need to replace the drive.

JS

I figured as much. Thanks.
--
J.O.

JS said:
Well if the drive won't open using the paper clip and it is getting power as
indicated by the CD drive LED blinking then I think something has jammed and
prevented the drive tray from opening. You may need to replace the drive.

JS

I read this response and was wondering if you could help me. Mine jammed,
but runs incessantly. I couldn't get it open until I tried the paperclip
trick. I put a blank cd in, but now it's running extremely loudly, and still
won't open automatically. Any ideas?

Jim Macklin

Replace it with a DVD-RW DL drive, it will do everything, is
cheap these days and will fix the problem you have now with
a broken or damaged CD drive.
It is a direct swap.

|I read this response and was wondering if you could help
me. Mine jammed,
| but runs incessantly. I couldn't get it open until I
tried the paperclip
| trick. I put a blank cd in, but now it's running
extremely loudly, and still
| won't open automatically. Any ideas?
| --
| BJ
|

| "JS" wrote:
|
| > Well if the drive won't open using the paper clip and it
is getting power as
| > indicated by the CD drive LED blinking then I think
something has jammed and
| > prevented the drive tray from opening. You may need to
replace the drive.

| > JS

in message

wrote in message

> [...]