Windows Vista CD Rom won't work

Reaction score
my cd rom will not work on a hp pavilion entertainment pc i'm running windows vista--my laptop is like 11/2 yr old--can anyone give me idea on how to fix?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Wellcome to the forum.:cheers:

You will need to be a little bit more specific when you say it doesn't work. Does it spin up ? Does it make noises when you put a cd in etc....

Reaction score
Wellcome to the forum.:cheers:

You will need to be a little bit more specific when you say it doesn't work. Does it spin up ? Does it make noises when you put a cd in etc....

yes all it does is spins--no noise windows media doesn't come up i've done a system restore--went to device mgr in control panel and made sure drivers,sound card etc. are working--i'm at a loss unless the cd rom itself is shot--ty for your reply.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It does sound as if the drive is shot. Replacement straightforward enough if you're comfortable taking a laptop to pieces, if not give it somebody who knows what they're doing to repair.

It may be, if you're lucky, that you'll only have to remove a cover to be able to access the drive, laptops differ in how they're built.

If you do decide to get it repaired get several quotes for the job first, prices can vary a great deal.

Ask a Question