    How can I disable it permanently?

    Please help!

    DC G

    DC Gringo, Apr 11, 2008

  2. it uses windows messenger to get the status. which version of messenger is
    installed?

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    Outlook Tips by email:

    Diane Poremsky [MVP], Apr 11, 2008

  3. DC Gringo

    VanguardLH Guest

    DC Gringo wrote:

    > I have Outlook 2007 performance problems and am trying the advice to uncheck
    > "Display online status next to a person name".
    >
    > No matter how many times I do it, shut-down restart, shut-down restart the
    > whole machine, wait for error-checking of the pst file, the option checks
    > itself back on.
    >
    > I have WinXP Pro w/latest service pack and all updates. I have only Windows
    > Messenger installed, no other MS chat client nor Office Communicator.
    >
    > How can I disable it permanently?

    Go into Outlook options and disable Messenger integration. It is under
    the Other tab in OL2002's options. Navigation and title for the option
    may differ in your version.

    VanguardLH, Apr 11, 2008
  4. DC Gringo

    DC Gringo Guest

    Vanguard,

    Thanks for responding.

    FYI, I have OL2007 (Enterprise), not 2002. I went into Tools | Options |
    Other | Person Names ...and disabled the checkbox which says:

    "Display online status next to a person name"

    But whether I apply it, apply and restart Outlook, or apply and restart
    outlook and restart the machine, it always comes back.

    I've also unchecked all the add-ins...

    Please help!

    DC G

    DC Gringo, Apr 14, 2008
  5. DC Gringo

    DC Gringo Guest

    Diane,

    Thanks for responding.

    I have only Windows Messager, default version that comes with XP Pro,
    4.7.3001

    DC G

    DC Gringo, Apr 14, 2008
  6. DC Gringo

    VanguardLH Guest

    DC Gringo wrote:

    > Vanguard,
    >
    > Thanks for responding.
    >
    > FYI, I have OL2007 (Enterprise), not 2002. I went into Tools | Options |
    > Other | Person Names ...and disabled the checkbox which says:
    >
    > "Display online status next to a person name"
    >
    > But whether I apply it, apply and restart Outlook, or apply and restart
    > outlook and restart the machine, it always comes back.
    >
    > I've also unchecked all the add-ins...

    Do you have MSN Messenger installed? As I recall from trying it years
    ago, it will set this option in Outlook because, well after all, you
    installed their chat client so you must want to integrate it with
    Outlook, right? Might be no but that's not what they assume. If you
    have MSN Messenger installed and don't want want to uninstall it but
    don't want to integrate it with Outlook then see if MSN Messenger has an
    option to kill that integration.

    There are 2 "Messenger" programs that get confused with each other: MSN
    Messenger and Windows Messenger. They are both instant prattle clients
    and I suspect MSN Messenger is the more updated and more featured
    version. I don't use either, have always not included Windows Messenger
    in a Windows XP install, and don't bother with the MSN Messenger. To
    uninstall Windows Messenger, go to the Add/Remove Programs applet in
    Control Panel, click on the Add/Remove Windows Components button, and in
    that window uncheck the Windows Messenger component to uninstall it.
    MSN Messenger should be listed in the Add/Remove Programs applet to
    uninstall it. I figure "online status" would have to relate to a chat
    client since no e-mail client is "online" for its users and only goes
    online when it establishes a mail session which doesn't involve
    interaction with the user, anyway.

    There is another "lookup service" that can cause a delay. In OL2002,
    Tools -> Email Accounts -> View or change existing directories or
    address books. Navigation may differ in your Outlook version.
    Directories can be used to lookup e-mail addresses but they take time.
    See if you have anything listed other than Outlook Address Book. This
    doesn't have to do with your specific problem. I only mention it
    because it yet another avenue that generates delays in checking e-mail
    addresses besides the messenger status online lookup.

    Found some hints here:
    http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/03/microsoft-outlook-2007-running-slow-fix.html

    VanguardLH, Apr 15, 2008