Can't install Defender Beta

My Beta version of Antispyware expired, and I downloaded the Beta version of
Defender. When I try to install it, I get this message: "This installation
package is not supported by this processor type." I don't understand--my
computer met the requirements. What could be wrong? I'm also concerned that I
see so many glitches reported. If I already have Symantec, do I really need
Defender? Help, please.

Bill Sanderson MVP

Newsgroups are always full of glitch reports--that's why they are here.

I believe you've downloaded the wrong version. Not sure why this seems to
be a common experience. Please go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E7-DA2B-4A6A-AFA4-F7F14E605A0D&displaylang=en

Press the Continue button, and then the Download button which replaces it,
to download WindowsDefender.msi. Look for that filename.

That should take care of this error message which normally indicates that
you've downloaded code for Windows XP Professional x64 edition, which is a
fairly uncommon version of Windows.

Thanks, Bill. I thought I had checked everything, but you're right. I
downloaded the wrong version! I appreciate the link.