Can't download files!

spear_1021

Help! I can't download anything. I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium
although my broadband connection seems fine nothing will download. I can
access my e-mail, messenger, the internet in general thru my browser, but
whenever I try to download a program from a website, although I get the
usual dialog boxes asking me whether I want to open or save the file, and I
get the usual download progress box, the file never arrives. Although I have
noted that when I try to download a file, the download speed just keeps
going up and up till I'm hitting around 7-8 mega-whatever per second. (The
best I used to get was 1.5 on a good day).

Any idea on what I should check, re-install, un-install, is it even possible
to re-install the Vista files while Vista is running. (I'd hate to try a
back up onto DVDs if I had to reformat the drive!)

Peter Foldes

Have you checked the path of the download. What happens if you do a search for the file that you downloaded after the download dialogue box finishes

Gary S. Terhune

Go to Internet Options and Delete the Temporary Internet Files. First place
to start, anyway.

spear_1021

I cleared out all the tempoary files using Disk CleanUp and then tried to
re-download the installation files for Firefox. At 7 MB it seems like a
decent candidate, not to small and not too big. I tried to download it the
desktop and I got a file with the name "Firefox Setup 3.0.1.exe.part" which
is 0 btyes in size even though I waited thru the download box for a minute
while it seemingly downloaded. I get the same result regardless of whether I
use Firefox (v3.0.1) or Internet Explorer (v7).

Using search in Windows Explorer (and search has taken a step backward IMO
in Vista) I could not find any of the other files I've tried to download
recently.