Can't delete file

Reaction score
I can't delete a file on my hard disk. It has a long name with 0k size and resides in My Documents folder. "Cannot delete file, either deleted or not found on disk" Can't delete it in pure DOS mode or safe mode. Used long name "costco! important to read entire article. .." and short name like "costco~1" but no use. It would be huge inconvenience to reformat the partition and restore from scratch. Virus scans showed no problems. The problem file is on my C: o/s partition. It won't let me copy the folder to my D: backup partition. Right now I have to manually copy selected data, bypassing the problem file. I can backup using ghost without problems but the image contains the problem file. Appreciate any suggestions.

Reaction score
Sorry but the move on boot program didn't even touch it. Says either deleted or locked. Can't move, rename or delete. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Download PocketKillbox here: http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip. Extract it from the zip file, remember where it goes.
Double-click on Killbox.exe to run it.
In the "Paste Full Path of File to Delete" box, fill in the full path/filename you want to delete.
Click on the Action menu and choose "Delete on Reboot".
In the Action menu select "Process and Reboot".
When prompted to reboot, do so.

Let me know, I got loads of 'em. ;)

Reaction score
THANK YOU, MUCKSHIFTER!

I used "PurgeIE" and although it didn't completely delete the offending file, it did move it into the Temporary Internet Files where I can ignore it, since I don't plan on copying that file to a backup partitiion.

Thank you again. Perseverance pays off! :))

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Your welcome. :thumb:

I would try CCleaner, see if it now can delete it, CC should delete all from you temp internet folder. I would be interested to know. :)

I remind you to not install the Yahoo toolbar that is being bundled with CC

Reaction score
Actually I ran PurgeIE again and it removed the offending file from the Temporary Internet Files folder. So I can't really tell if CCleaner might have worked. :(

Thanks again for your help. ~ E

Ask a Question