Can't connect to XP Pro host

G

I can't connect to XP Pro host at all. Host is NATted behind wireless router. Have setup Virtual Server to port forward 3389. Setup wireless firewall to allow connection. I can't connect from work even though I'm "allowed" through work firewall. Tried from XP Home within wireless LAN. Still can't connect. Get error that Remote Desktop may not be setup or system too busy. Tried using Computer Name AND using host IP address. Still won't work. Same error message regardless. Tried reinstalling Remote Desktop Connection but it says its already installed. Any suggestions what I'm doing wrong? Doesn't seem like it should be this difficult.

S

Sooner Al

Is Remote Desktop enabled on the PC your trying to connect to?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/default.asp

Do you have any firewall software running on the PC your trying to connect to?

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

JAshton said:
I can't connect to XP Pro host at all. Host is NATted behind wireless router. Have setup Virtual
Server to port forward 3389. Setup wireless firewall to allow connection. I can't connect from
work even though I'm "allowed" through work firewall. Tried from XP Home within wireless LAN.
Still can't connect. Get error that Remote Desktop may not be setup or system too busy. Tried
using Computer Name AND using host IP address. Still won't work. Same error message regardless.
Tried reinstalling Remote Desktop Connection but it says its already installed. Any suggestions
what I'm doing wrong? Doesn't seem like it should be this difficult.

G

Sooner Al - Thank you for responding so quickly

Yes, I have the Remote Desktop Connection setup. It is using an Administrator level account, and no I don't have any software firewall running on my XP Pro Host computer. Using DLink DI-614+ Rev. A with no SSID broadcast and 256-bit encryption. However, I turned off the encryption temporarily and it made no difference. Hope this helps.

G

Well, I figured it out - finally. It WAS a software firewall in the way. I had installed Black Ice Defender and, although I had exited the program, it was actually still running the services. I uninstalled Black Ice Defender, rebooted the host, and I was able to use the Remote Desktop Connection properly.

I know I could have setup a rule in Black Ice to allow port 3389 rather than uninstalling it, but the main point is that the firewall was causing the problem. Anyone not able to connect that's using a firewall (and maybe a router) may want to look at the firewall as a possible cause. Even if you think you have the firewall shutdown. Use the Task Manager, Processes to make sure there are still no firewall services running. This is what was happening to me

Thanks to those trying to help and good luck to those still having problems.

Ask a Question