    screen daring me!

    How do you get rid of it utterly and completely please.

    Richard

    Richard Wakeford, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Richard Wakeford

    roger Guest

    Hi Richard,

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:14 +0100 (BST), (Richard
    Wakeford) wrote:

    >I've uninstalled it and done a Registry search to get rid of every last
    >vestige of it but RealPlayer still tries to launch on the odd occasion
    >even though I've installed RealAlternative which, generally, works very
    >well until this phantom old original tries to rear its ugly head.

    [...]

    You can try using the .r1pclean.exe program, according to
    http://service.real.com/realone/faq/r1p_010828_TAL_rap01408v.html

    From here:
    http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/k/keenvalue.asp

    "To Remove RealOne Player:

    1. Click the Start button, point to Search, and click Find Files or
    Folders.
    2. Type .r1pclean.exe (r1(one)pclean) in the search box and click
    Search Now.
    2a. This may be found at C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne
    Player\Setup\.r1pclean.exe
    3. When Windows locates the file, double-click it. A MS-DOS window
    appears with a warning.
    4. Press the Y key and then press ENTER to uninstall.
    5. You will be asked if you want to keep your media database or not;
    for a complete uninstall press the N key to delete the media database.
    See Deleting the Database below for more information.
    6. If RealOne Music software is also installed, you will be asked if
    you want to leave all the registry keys associated with RealOne Music
    and leave the MCS database files. Press the N key to delete them.
    RealOne Player will now uninstall from your computer"

    Hope this helps

    roger, Apr 29, 2004

  3. > From here:
    > http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/k/keenvalue.as

    Thanks for the pointer. The idea looks good but all I get to download is a
    massive 6 mb plus trial version of Pest Control - can't see the
    r1pclean.exe file anywhere. Do I have to install all of that to get
    r1pclean.exe to work?

    Richard

    Richard Wakeford, Apr 29, 2004
  4. Richard Wakeford

    roger Guest

    Hi Richard,

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:10 +0100 (BST), (Richard
    Wakeford) wrote:

    >> From here:
    >> http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/k/keenvalue.as

    >Thanks for the pointer. The idea looks good but all I get to download is a
    >massive 6 mb plus trial version of Pest Control - can't see the
    >r1pclean.exe file anywhere. Do I have to install all of that to get
    >r1pclean.exe to work?
    >
    >Richard

    You don't need Pest Control, what I gather is that this .r1pclean.exe
    file comes with RealOne, check this location:
    C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\Setup\.r1pclean.exe
    Try looking for the file in Start > Search ---> .r1pclean.exe

    Another approach would be to look for mentions of RealMedia,
    RealNetworks and so on in your registry, but look out that you don't
    erase RealAlternative by mistake.

    Good luck

    roger, Apr 29, 2004
  5. > file comes with RealOne, check this location:
    > C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\Setup\.r1pclean.exe
    > Try looking for the file in Start > Search ---> .r1pclean.exe

    Ah, a bit difficult because, as I said, I've removed all trace of
    RealPlayer from C;| as well as the registry but it's still there!

    Maybe I'll have to reinstall it and then use .r1pclean.exe to get rid of
    it or I could wait for the promised MediaPlayer 10 due out that should be
    able to play RealPlayer files. However that doesn't stop RealPlayer trying
    to show itself so I think it's a re install followed by a comprehensive
    removal using this file.

    Richard

    Richard Wakeford, Apr 29, 2004
  6. Richard Wakeford

    roger Guest

    Hi Richard,

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:01 +0100 (BST), (Richard
    Wakeford) wrote:

    >> file comes with RealOne, check this location:
    >> C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\Setup\.r1pclean.exe
    >> Try looking for the file in Start > Search ---> .r1pclean.exe

    >Ah, a bit difficult because, as I said, I've removed all trace of
    >RealPlayer from C;| as well as the registry but it's still there!
    >
    >Maybe I'll have to reinstall it and then use .r1pclean.exe to get rid of
    >it or I could wait for the promised MediaPlayer 10 due out that should be
    >able to play RealPlayer files. However that doesn't stop RealPlayer trying
    >to show itself so I think it's a re install followed by a comprehensive
    >removal using this file.

    I've just looked in my RealPlayer files and it is there, in the setup
    folder, .rp1clean.exe, it is small (1KB) and when you click it, it
    asks if you really want to uninstall Real.

    It's really a chore: you would have to uninstall RealAlternative,
    install Real, uninstall using this file and then reinstall
    RealAlternative!

    roger, Apr 29, 2004
  7. > It's really a chore: you would have to uninstall RealAlternative,
    > install Real, uninstall using this file and then reinstall
    > RealAlternative!

    Yes but might just do without both as RealPlayer is needed so rarely in
    the way I use PCs that I might just see how long I can do without both
    although I suppose I'll still have to install RealPlayer to get rid of it!
    Ho hum.

    Richard

    Richard Wakeford, Apr 30, 2004
  8. Richard Wakeford

    roger Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 01:09 +0100 (BST), (Richard
    Wakeford) wrote:

    >> It's really a chore: you would have to uninstall RealAlternative,
    >> install Real, uninstall using this file and then reinstall
    >> RealAlternative!

    >Yes but might just do without both as RealPlayer is needed so rarely in
    >the way I use PCs that I might just see how long I can do without both
    >although I suppose I'll still have to install RealPlayer to get rid of it!
    >Ho hum.
    >
    >Richard

    Yeah, I use it just for watching news videos, it's pretty invasive,
    though.

    roger, Apr 30, 2004
  9. > Yeah, I use it just for watching news videos, it's pretty invasive,
    > though.

    That's the main reason I want to get rid of it! I'll keep trying and
    thanks for your help. Just about to re-install it to try the wee file EXE
    in it for a proper removal (I hope!)

    Richard

    Richard Wakeford, Apr 30, 2004
  10. Richard Wakeford

    roger Guest

    Hi Richard,

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:55 +0100 (BST), (Richard
    Wakeford) wrote:

    >> Yeah, I use it just for watching news videos, it's pretty invasive,
    >> though.

    >That's the main reason I want to get rid of it! I'll keep trying and
    >thanks for your help. Just about to re-install it to try the wee file EXE
    >in it for a proper removal (I hope!)

    Good luck on removing the program!

    roger, Apr 30, 2004