Can't boot without XP CD

Andy in NJ

Hermanator said:
Andy, Unless you are hitting the "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt, I
don't know of any reason for this cycle ?. I would reccomend that you do a
reinstall of your WindowsXP, after first Formatting the hard drive again.
Insert the WinXP disc in the CD-rom, and hold down the "control" key until
you see the "Windows is inspecting your computer's hardware", then follow
instructions until you get a page that asks if you want to repair a
previous
installation, choose NO, and then instruct it to delete the C: drive
partition, and then format the HD to NTSD, don't use the "Quick" format
option. After it formats, complete the new installation, and if the cycle
repeats itself again, you most likely have a hardware issue. Hope this
helps.

I posted about this earlier today. I fixed the problem. I unplugged the old
hard drive that I had in there and it fixed the problem. This really should
have been my first step (and probably the first suggestion from our resident
experts), but I didn't think of it until just recently. I even backed up the
old hard drive to a USB external drive and reformated the old hard drive,
but that didn't fix it until it was unplugged. Must be a jumper setting on
the old hard drive. Even though it's set to "Cable Select" and the cable is
properly setup, it must not have properly detected the master/slave.

gilbert

"Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
I posted about this earlier today. I fixed the problem. I unplugged the
old hard drive that I had in there and it fixed the problem. This really
should have been my first step (and probably the first suggestion from our
resident experts), but I didn't think of it until just recently...

You really are a pompous ass, aren't you?
How about thanking everyone for their time and effort instead of bragging
about YOUR wonderful problem-solving ability?
Oh, and please don't reply, I'm washing my hair.
:O)
Gilbert

Andy in NJ

gilbert said:
You really are a pompous ass, aren't you?
How about thanking everyone for their time and effort instead of bragging
about YOUR wonderful problem-solving ability?
Oh, and please don't reply, I'm washing my hair.
:O)
Gilbert

I'm not sure I understand. What's "pompass" about saying that I fixed the
problem? I'm not an expert in computers by any means, but after I mentioned
that I had a second hard drive installed, now that I know the solution, I
would have thought that someone would have recommended disconnecting the old
hard drive as a first step. In any case, thank you to those of you that
replied with professionalism and helpful intent. For those of you that
replied with indignation and an overinflated feeling of self-worth... well,
my reply isn't appropriate for a public forum.