Can't boot without XP CD

Carl G

Do you have more then one hard drive? If so did you set the jumpers
corectly, Master, Slave.

BBUNNY

Andy in NJ wrote:
| I just recently got a new computer and I installed a new hard drive,
| installed WinXP Home with SP2 on it. Now, whenever I reboot the
| computer, if I don't have the XP CD in the computer, I get the
| message that Windows didn't load properly and it gives me the menu
| with the Safe Mode options or the regular boot. After I select
| anything, it reboot the computer and does the same thing. It's an
| endless loop unless I have the XP CD in there. Any suggestions?

BBUNNY

Carl G wrote:
| Do you have more then one hard drive? If so did you set the jumpers
| corectly, Master, Slave.
|
|| I just recently got a new computer and I installed a new hard drive,
|| installed WinXP Home with SP2 on it. Now, whenever I reboot the
|| computer, if I don't have the XP CD in the computer, I get the
|| message that Windows didn't load properly and it gives me the menu
|| with the Safe Mode options or the regular boot. After I select
|| anything, it reboot the computer and does the same thing. It's an
|| endless loop unless I have the XP CD in there. Any suggestions?

Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

"Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
| I just recently got a new computer and I installed a new hard drive,
| installed WinXP Home with SP2 on it. Now, whenever I reboot the computer,
if
| I don't have the XP CD in the computer, I get the message that Windows
| didn't load properly and it gives me the menu with the Safe Mode options
or
| the regular boot. After I select anything, it reboot the computer and does
| the same thing. It's an endless loop unless I have the XP CD in there. Any
| suggestions?

I have a suggestion: Fix your clock--you're posting in the future.

Gerry Cornell

Raymond

Give the guy a break. That's the least of his problems!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dick Mahar

"Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
I just recently got a new computer and I installed a new hard drive,
installed WinXP Home with SP2 on it. Now, whenever I reboot the computer, if
I don't have the XP CD in the computer, I get the message that Windows
didn't load properly and it gives me the menu with the Safe Mode options or
the regular boot. After I select anything, it reboot the computer and does
the same thing. It's an endless loop unless I have the XP CD in there. Any
suggestions?

If you feel comfortable in the BIOS, check to ensure that the hard Drive is
designated as thr Boot Drive..........Dick. M.

Yor Suiris

You say "I installed a new hard drive" was that as a Second drive? If yes,
was XP originally on the old Drive? If yes then did you edit the Boot.ini to
reflect the drive and system changes?

GTS

Was windows already installed on one the original drive? Is the new hard
drive the primary or secondary?
I suggest booting into Recovery Console and checking the boot.ini file, etc.
See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654 re. using RC. Look at the
FixMBR, FixBoot, and Bootcfg commands particularly.

Andy in NJ

GTS said:
Was windows already installed on one the original drive? Is the new hard
drive the primary or secondary?
I suggest booting into Recovery Console and checking the boot.ini file,
etc. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654 re. using RC. Look at
the FixMBR, FixBoot, and Bootcfg commands particularly.

The hard drive was a new with nothing installed. The new hard drive is the
primary.

Andy in NJ

Yor Suiris said:
You say "I installed a new hard drive" was that as a Second drive? If
yes, was XP originally on the old Drive? If yes then did you edit the
Boot.ini to reflect the drive and system changes?

The computer came without a hard drive. I picked up a new 80 gig hard drive
and installed WinXP Home on it.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Andy in NJ said:
I just recently got a new computer and I installed a new hard drive,
installed WinXP Home with SP2 on it. Now, whenever I reboot the computer, if
I don't have the XP CD in the computer, I get the message that Windows
didn't load properly and it gives me the menu with the Safe Mode options or
the regular boot. After I select anything, it reboot the computer and does
the same thing. It's an endless loop unless I have the XP CD in there. Any
suggestions?

I suggest you start by deciding if you have a Windows
problem or a boot environment problem. Here is what
you can do.

- Format a floppy disk under WinXP.
- Copy these files from the \i386 folder of your WinXP CD to A:\ -
ntldr
ntdetect.com
- Start a Command Prompt and type this command:
type c:\boot.ini > a:\boot.ini
- Boot the machine with this floppy

What do you get?

Gonefishing

Since the switches on the drive are correctly set. The bios settings are
fine. And your saying this is a new drive. I'd suggest reformatting the
drive again and starting over.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

Boot.ini is corrupt. Load from the CD, but enter the Recovery Console.
Logon, then delete the existing boot.ini. Run bootcfg /rebuild to create a
new one.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Andy in NJ

GTS said:
Was windows already installed on one the original drive? Is the new hard
drive the primary or secondary?
I suggest booting into Recovery Console and checking the boot.ini file,
etc. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654 re. using RC. Look at
the FixMBR, FixBoot, and Bootcfg commands particularly.

Thanks for the suggestions. When I tried the fixmbr command, it did inicate
that there was a problem with the boot record and I did try fixing it, but
it made no difference. Looks like I may be shelling out the $35 for Windows
tech support to try to solve this one. :(

Alan Wilcox

Andy,
I found that it helps a lot to unplug all drives but the new "boot drive" when
you're putting on the new OS. (Prevents accidents too ... like formatting the
wrong drive!)
Alan

IC

I have a similar problem, except that I'm told there a disk boot failure and
to insert a system disk. With the XP CD in, it will boot OK from the HDD.