Can't access the shares on the network

Mohammad Refaei

The internet connection firewall is disabled on my connection

Ed Peluffo said:
Also, you said you used the system preparation tool, did you setup the XP
Firewall to be on by default?

Mohammad Refaei said:
The local security settings are ok,,, nothing wrong with them.
The message I get when I try to access the computer is:
" \\PC1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
resource."

Mohammad Refaei said:
Yes,,,, All the partitions are NTFS with customized permissions.

Does this limited account have NTFS and share permissions to the share?
Also, if you have any XP machines, I believe that XP has issues with
allowing people to authenticate remotely with a blank password. I forget
if
it has those issues by default or not though.

Ray at work

I used 2 users accounts on all the computers, one of them is a limited
account and the other is the Administrator account.
All the computers mostly log in using the limited account which
has
the
same
name on all the computers. and all of them have no passwords.
The account name is: "Limited" with no password on all the computers,
which
named PC1, PC2, PC3,,, etc.
So, the user account is created on all the computers, and though, I
can't
access the shares!

Thanks for you time and help that I really appreciate.

In a workgroup environment, you have to have duplicate accounts (same
username and password) on all the machines if you want to access
shares.
Either that, or you have to specify a different account with
which
connection. Example:

Joe uses COMPUTERA and logs on as Joe.
Ray uses COMPUTERB and logs on as Ray.

Joe wants to access Ray's \\COMPUTERB\MP3s share.

To make this possible, one of these things can be done:
- Ray creates a user named "Joe" on his computer, and sets the
password
the same password that Joe uses on his computer.

- Joe opens up his command prompt, because he's cool, and enters:
net use M: \\COMPUTERB\MP3s /user:COMPUTERB\Ray
[enters Ray's password in this non-security-conscious environment]

Ray at work

I get a message saying that I don't have the permission to access
this
computer !
The message appears when I try to access the computers in my
workgroup.
Do I have to modify user accounts on my network?

"Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote in
message
What does "can't" mean?

Ray at work

Hello all...
I have a small network composed of 10 computers, I was
using
the
Windows
ME,
Now I installed Windows XP Pro and used the system preparation
tool
deploy the system to all the computers in my network with the
help
of
disk
imaging software.

The problem is that I can't access the shares on the computers
at
all
!

Thanks in advance for your help

Ed Peluffo

Did you already try looking at Simpe File Sharing in Windows Explorer? I
Believe is Tools / Folder Options / View / Advance / "Use Simple Sharing"
box.

Mohammad Refaei

Yes... I understand . But now, I added a new computer to my network with a
new windows xp installation. I can't access the shares on any other computer
from this new computer too !

Ed Peluffo

Something I found on the net somewhere, !!!use at your own risk!!!

1- Open dos prompt, type ipconfig -all.
2- Look at the 'Node Type' it probably says Peer-Peer or something (this is
what mine said)
.... we want it to say 'Hybrid'
3- Press 'Start' button > Run... > In the box type regedit. This opens your
system's registry.
4- Navigate the tree to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/NetBT/Parameters
5- Rt. mouse click and select New > DWORD Value
6- Name it 'NodeType' (without the quotes)
7- Rt. mouse click on it and select Modify
8- Set Value Data to '8' (no quotes)
9- Leave Base alone. 'Hexadecimal' should be selected
10- Press 'ok'
11- Close regedit and reboot. (Your done!)
12- Open dos prompt and type ipconfig -all
For node type it should now say 'Hybrid'
13- Do this to the other computer that you cannot network. Your computers
should be able to see one another.

Marina Roos

XP won't allow access if passwords are blank. Is Netbios over TCP/IP
enabled? Also, 10 computers really is the maximum in a workgroup. You'll
need a server soon.

Marina

Mohammad Refaei

I'm using the Administrator account now which has a password for testing and
I'm still having the problem.
Also,,, I'm running 4 computers only for the testing purposes.

And I tried this before:
1- Enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP Connection
2- Made sure that the computer browser service is running
3- Made sure that the local security policy allows accesing the computer
from the network.
4- Installed the TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft Networks, File and printer
Sharing

Mohammad Refaei

The strange thing is that each computer can connect to the internet "I use a
switch connected to a router to provide a direct connection not using
internet connection sharing" but when I try to ping each computer I get
"Request timed out" !!!

Marina Roos

Can you post the ipconfig/all from the troubled computer and from one that
is working fine?

Marina