Can't access the shares on the network

Mohammad Refaei

Hello all...
I have a small network composed of 10 computers, I was using the Windows ME,
Now I installed Windows XP Pro and used the system preparation tool to
deploy the system to all the computers in my network with the help of disk
imaging software.

The problem is that I can't access the shares on the computers at all !

Thanks in advance for your help

Mohammad Refaei

I get a message saying that I don't have the permission to access this
computer !
The message appears when I try to access the computers in my workgroup.
Do I have to modify user accounts on my network?

Ray at

In a workgroup environment, you have to have duplicate accounts (same
username and password) on all the machines if you want to access shares.
Either that, or you have to specify a different account with which to
connection. Example:

Joe uses COMPUTERA and logs on as Joe.
Ray uses COMPUTERB and logs on as Ray.

Joe wants to access Ray's \\COMPUTERB\MP3s share.

To make this possible, one of these things can be done:
- Ray creates a user named "Joe" on his computer, and sets the password to
the same password that Joe uses on his computer.

- Joe opens up his command prompt, because he's cool, and enters:
net use M: \\COMPUTERB\MP3s /user:COMPUTERB\Ray
[enters Ray's password in this non-security-conscious environment]

Ray at work

Mohammad Refaei

I used 2 users accounts on all the computers, one of them is a limited
account and the other is the Administrator account.
All the computers mostly log in using the limited account which has the same
name on all the computers. and all of them have no passwords.
The account name is: "Limited" with no password on all the computers, which
named PC1, PC2, PC3,,, etc.
So, the user account is created on all the computers, and though, I can't
access the shares!

Thanks for you time and help that I really appreciate.

Mohammad Refaei said:
I get a message saying that I don't have the permission to access this
computer !
The message appears when I try to access the computers in my workgroup.
Do I have to modify user accounts on my network?

of
disk
all

I have 3 computers on my local area network: Win2000, Win 98, and Win XP. They get their dynamic IP addresses from a router. They all connect to the Internet without problems.
Locally, I have a problem. Win98 can see and access files on both XP and Win2000. No problem. Both Win2000 and XP can see Win98, but cannot access it. The message I get when trying to access Win98 from Win2000 is “\\Computer_name is not accessible. Parameter is incorrectâ€, and a similar message when I am trying to access Win98 from XP.
Win2000 cannot see XP at all in “My Network Placesâ€, and likewise XP cannot see Win2000. I’ve tried Pinging Win2000 from XP and visa versa and it works: not only I Ping them by their IP addresses but also by their names successfully.
Has anybody encountered a similar problem? Any suggestions?
I would accept unsecure communications among the computers

Appreciate any help,

Vadim

Ray at

Does this limited account have NTFS and share permissions to the share?
Also, if you have any XP machines, I believe that XP has issues with
allowing people to authenticate remotely with a blank password. I forget if
it has those issues by default or not though.

Ray at work

Mohammad Refaei said:
I get a message saying that I don't have the permission to access this
computer !
The message appears when I try to access the computers in my workgroup.
Do I have to modify user accounts on my network?

What does "can't" mean?

Ray at work

Hello all...
I have a small network composed of 10 computers, I was using the Windows
ME,
Now I installed Windows XP Pro and used the system preparation
tool

Mohammad Refaei

Yes,,,, All the partitions are NTFS with customized permissions.

Mohammad Refaei said:
I used 2 users accounts on all the computers, one of them is a limited
account and the other is the Administrator account.
All the computers mostly log in using the limited account which has the same
name on all the computers. and all of them have no passwords.
The account name is: "Limited" with no password on all the computers, which
named PC1, PC2, PC3,,, etc.
So, the user account is created on all the computers, and though, I can't
access the shares!

Thanks for you time and help that I really appreciate.
password

!

Thanks in advance for your help

Mohammad Refaei

Could this be because of the security identifiers?
And how to know the security identifier of a computer?

Mohammad Refaei said:
[...]

With the win2k and the winxp machines, do they have the
same accounts on them? I mean that if win2k was using an
account called acc1 and winxp acc2. Make sure that there
is an account on both machines for acc1 and acc2. That
seems to have helped alot between nt based machines. It
might work by having the nt machines have an account that
the 98 machine uses.

hope that didn't sound confusing.
Hi,
I have 3 computers on my local area network: Win2000, Win
98, and Win XP. They get their dynamic IP addresses from a
router. They all connect to the Internet without problems.
Locally, I have a problem. Win98 can see and access files
on both XP and Win2000. No problem. Both Win2000 and XP
can see Win98, but cannot access it. The message I get
when trying to access Win98 from Win2000 is â?
o\\Computer_name is not accessible. Parameter is
incorrectâ?, and a similar message when I am trying to
access Win98 from XP.
Win2000 cannot see XP at all in â?oMy Network Placesâ?,
and likewise XP cannot see Win2000. Iâ?Tve tried Pinging
Win2000 from XP and visa versa and it works: not only I
Ping them by their IP addresses but also by their names
successfully.

Ed Peluffo

Go to Administrative Tools / Local Security Settings / Local Policies / User
Rights Assigment / Access this computer from the network. Make sure that the
Local Setting and Effective Setting includes "Everyone"

You have to do this for each machine!

Mohammad Refaei said:
[...]

Also check that "Deny access to this computer from the network" doesn't have
anybody listed

Mohammad Refaei said:
[...]

The local security settings are ok,,, nothing wrong with them.
The message I get when I try to access the computer is:
" \\PC1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
resource."

Mohammad Refaei said:
[...]

Reinstall the service pack 1a on at least tow of these computers to see if
they can see each other. Also try what about the network card drivers, did
you reinstall after the upgrade, why don't you try that. Also, you could try
repairing the Local Area Connection

Ed Peluffo

Did you try loggin on to the computers with the Administrator Account to see
if you can access the shares?

Alternatively, try the "runas" command to do a "net use" command to map one
the shares

Mohammad Refaei said:
I get a message saying that I don't have the permission to access this
computer !
The message appears when I try to access the computers in my workgroup.
Do I have to modify user accounts on my network?

What does "can't" mean?

Ray at work

Hello all...
I have a small network composed of 10 computers, I was using the Windows
ME,
Now I installed Windows XP Pro and used the system preparation
tool

Ed Peluffo

XP is funny like that when it comes to blank passwords. Why don't you try
adding passwords to the accounts to see what happens. It doesn't hurt trying

Mohammad Refaei said:
[...]

Also, you said you used the system preparation tool, did you setup the XP
Firewall to be on by default?

Ray at said:
[...]

"Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote in
message
What does "can't" mean?

Ray at work

Hello all...
I have a small network composed of 10 computers, I was using the
Windows
ME,
Now I installed Windows XP Pro and used the system preparation
tool
deploy the system to all the computers in my network with
the
help
of
disk
imaging software.

The problem is that I can't access the shares on the
computers
at
all
!

Thanks in advance for your help

Mohammad Refaei

I installed the service pack 1 and updated the system before deploying it to
the other computers on the network using the system preparation tool.
Also, I didn't prevent changing the security identifier when used the system
preparation tool.
The network is working fine,,, each computer can acess the internet
properly through the switch & the router, the only problem is that the
computers can't access each other.

Mohammad Refaei

I logged on using the Administrator account which has password, and I
couldn't access the shares.

Mohammad Refaei said:
[...]

I understand that, but funny things can happen with unattended installs and
system preparation tool images. As far as the SIDs, the Sys Prep should have
taken care of those.

I would personally reinstall or repair two of those computers to see what
difference it makes.I would use an original CD instead of the image that you
used before. At this point, you have nothing to lose!