Can't access some web sites

Would Internet Explorer be the culprit in me not being able to access certain
web sites (craigslist.com and metromix.com)? I know friends that can access
both these sites. I used to be able to and now get one of 2 responses: the
infamouse We cannot find from MSN or the Blank Page. Does anyone have any
insights?

robert60640 said:
Would Internet Explorer be the culprit in me not being able to access certain
web sites (craigslist.com and metromix.com)? I know friends that can access
both these sites. I used to be able to and now get one of 2 responses: the
infamouse We cannot find from MSN or the Blank Page. Does anyone have any
insights?
Hi Robert,
Try this link,http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=816405
and let us know.
nass

Inconclusive results:
1. This workaround is for v.5.5, so I think this is why I cannot make this
work.
2. The first suggetion about changing Internet settings was already correct
in my broswer
3. So, I went to the Registery Editor to try the second option. I do not
have a file called "Internet Settings\SendExtraCRLF"

Keep in mind I can access all other sites, but at this time having only
problems with one site. Sometimes I get in, but most times I cannot.

Other suggestions?

Yes I do know it is IE v.5.5.
Do you have another toolbar installed other than I., If yes, then go to IE
Properties and click on Programs Manage Add-Ons and Disable all that not MS
IE Add-Ons.
Click Reset Web Settings while you are on the Programs Tab.
Try to assign the web address in the Trusted Site in Security Tab and in
Privacy Tab also by Clicking on Sites Button and Type in the Web address and
click on Always Allow.
Clear your Caches.
Close and Reboot your Machine and try the website.
Hope this helps
nass

Bob Horvath

On Thu, 25 May 2006 08:07:02 -0700, Bob Horvath wrote:

I get the same problem periodically when I clean my system of cookies,
etc with cleanup programs. When it happens, I use Winsockfix.exe and
it straightens things up. Google for it. Maybe it will help you.

Hi there...went through all your steps and still am unable to access
craigslist.com. Any other thoughts?

Don Varnau

Hi,
WinXP?
Open a Cmd window (Start> Run> CMD) enter
ipconfig /flushdns
then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Thanks Don. I just did that...and still cannot access craigslist.com
Any other suggestions???

robert60640 said:
Hi there...went through all your steps and still am unable to access
craigslist.com. Any other thoughts?

Do you have the latest Java Installed on your machine?
if not try to download and install the latest Version from here:
http://www.sun.com
Try this Go to IE Properties and Click on Advance Scroll down and Locate
HTT 1.1 Setting and be sure that [ ] Use HTT 1,1 is selected.
Locate Security Option and Be sure that :
[ ] Use SSL 2.0 Selected
[ ] Use SSL 3.0 Selected
[ ] Use TSL 1.0 Selected
Go to Programs Tab and click *Reset Web Settings*.
Close and Reboot your Machine and try the Web address.
Hope this helps
nass

:

[...]

Versions? IE6 on Windows XP, right? Is it XP SP2? (Look at IE> Help> About.)

Are you running the Windows Firewall or another? McAfee or Norton/Symantec
installed?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"robert60640" <robert60640[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

that
can access anyone
have any insights?

Windows XP with SP2 / IE6 / Windows Firewall / McAfee / AdWatch / THGuard

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Robert - tried your suggestion...basically received similar results. For
example, when I checked my settings (which were correct) and then clicked on
your link...it displayed the home page. Then when I clicked on a link within
the home page - I get the infamous 'The Page Cannot Be Display'.

9 times out of 10 I cannot get to the home page, which is weird.

I'm not quite certain what to do, but suspect a 'bug' of some sort that
prevents me from access this page normally.

Don Varnau

Try disabling McAfee and AdWatch from Start> Run> msconfig> Startup.

Next, clear the IE History, delete any cookies from the troublesome sites
and delete the Temporary Internet Files *folder*

Make sure that you can see hidden files (Folder Options> View) Then
login as another user with administrator privileges, or from the machine's
default administrator account (startup in safe mode) and delete the affected
TIF folder from Windows Explorer. It will be at [C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files] A new folder will
be created on restart.

315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:

Set the size of the new TIF folder at 50-60 MB.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Versions? IE6 on Windows XP, right? Is it XP SP2? (Look at IE> Help> About.)

Are you running the Windows Firewall or another? McAfee or Norton/Symantec
installed?
"robert60640" <robert60640[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Thanks Don. I just did that...and still cannot access craigslist.com
Any other suggestions???
:
Hi,
WinXP?
Open a Cmd window (Start> Run> CMD) enter
ipconfig /flushdns
then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.

I'm still looking for any suggestions as to why I cannot access
www.craigslist.com with any regularity.

I receive one of 3 responses:
1. 'The Page cannot be found' (powered by MSN)
2. 'The page cannot be displayed'
3. On rare occasion I get the site, but then can't access any futher areas
within the site.

Thanks!

My problem has been solved. It appears it had nothing to do with my browser,
but my wireless Netgear router. Thanks very much for all of your suggestions!

Robert Aldwinckle

My problem has been solved. It appears it had nothing to do with my browser,
but my wireless Netgear router. Thanks very much for all of your suggestions!

Perhaps you should be thanking Hans-Georg too?

<w>

Thanks for the feedback.

Robert
---