Windows XP Cannot Start Security Service OR Windows Firewall/ICS

Reaction score
Hello-

I recently removed a WinPC Antivirus malware from a computer here, and since then I cannot access the internet. In addition, Windows Security Center does not automatically start, no matter how many times I set it to "Automatic" under services.msc.

I do not know where to go from here - I've been EVERYWHERE on the net and tried tons of cleaners etc.

Any new suggestions??

ken g

Reaction score
Try downloading the windows malicious software removal tool. Restart in safemode and run it

could be you have conficker worm in several variations

Reaction score
I have run it previously, but not in safe mode. I will try....These problems started after I removed some malware (in the form of WinPC Antivirus 2009).

I'll let you know.

Reaction score
pc errors

kennyjg44 said:
No Infected Files.

restore your computer to an earlier date (when it was working correctly)
go to start-control panel- help and support, and you should see the restore prompt on the right hand side.
THEN-
Install Windows Registry cleanup utility to remove an partial files you have and are not working correctly- this is FREE- no strings.
Then if you do not have an antivirus- install AVAST (aslo free)
run complete scan afterwards.
This should do the trick.
good luck :)

Reaction score
No offense but.....
When I've been infected...
I...
get the system to a clean state
backup what I need
fdisk and reinstall

Often the damage caused takes far too long to repair

Reaction score
Absolutely reinstalling is the best way to go and I too have done that in the past, but for a quick fix the above has also worked. When i have reinstalled, It always takes me days to save everything and for some reason I still lose some things and can never get my email set back up right away when reinstalling. But to be sure everything is cleaned up correctly -reinstalling as Jaling says is the probably the best way.

Reaction score
I tried to restore, but clicking "next" did nothing - i tried this several times. Whatever the problem is, its affecting this as well.

I even tried a repair install of XP to no avail - looks like a full wipe and install is next

Reaction score
another option may be to install windows registry cleanup utilty and run virus scan (if your computer allows you to) and then try restoring.
I had soooo many errors, viruses, left over parts of downloads and this cleanup utilty wiped it all out for me.
If not re-install (I feel for ya) Its a pain in the butt!!
Good luck and please let us know what worked (So in the future I can also save some time-lol)

Ask a Question