Cannot send data - IE & Outlook

jsmiff

I'm having an extremely odd problem and think I've pretty well isolated
it to this specific machine.

My wife has a WinXP SP2 box that has been working fine for the past
year and a half. The past few days, she's been unable to submit large
data via web forms or send email via Outlook. All of this was working
successfully last week and she hasn't installed anything new.

I've tried swapping networking equipment with known working, but it
doesn't change anything.

I've tried updating the driver for the NIC (VIA Rhine-Family Fast
Ethernet), then tried rolling back to an older version, then tried
reinstalling it completely.

I've checked her LAN settings vs mine, we're both on the same hub
connected to the same router on the same ISP, both using Windows XP Pro
SP2. The exact same data that she has difficulty submitting on her
machine submits fine on mine, even with the cat5 cable from my machine
moved to hers.

I've ensured it's not anti-virus software, run HijackThis to check for
possible problems, as well as SpyBot Search & Destroy, done an online
virus-scan via Trend Micro, and am still coming up blank...

The error I get when sending data via Outlook is 0x800ccc0f - but I
don't believe the problem is the MTU on the router, as this computer
isn't experiencing a problem, although it is using a different NIC
(both are integrated on the mobo's and have different mobos).

Any ideas?

Just to try to isolate the issue, try pinging your router's IP, your other
computers' IP, and an outside IP (like yahoo.com).

______
Issue the ping command from the cmd command prompt like this:
ping yahoo.com
or
ping 192.168.1.1

You can have ping run an extending test like this (this test keeps running
until you press CTRL+C or CTRL+Break):
ping yahoo.com /t
or
ping 192.168.1.1 /t

See if there are lost packets on even those short ping transmissions.

Shawn

jsmiff

Hey Shawn, good idea. I tested your theory, but even running it with
/t and leaving it going, there wasn't even a 1% packet loss pinging the
computer itself, the router, or yahoo.

The problem only seems to exist on large transmissions. I tried an FTP
upload, and it gave back a netout: connection reset by peer error.

PopS

[...]

It'd be a good idea to check with your ISP. At the moment, many,
and I mean a lot, are changing their methodologies and many OE
(and other clients) users are beginning to see the effects.
Since you say these are large, if they're in the range of 10
Meg, some I've heard are even switchign to 5 Meg, some are 20, it
may be something your ISP implemented.
The above is particularly true of DSL ISPs. A good tipoff of
this issue is when you cannot use OE but if you use a Webmail
account, you can indeed send the mails. There are also non-ISP
port25 issues, but it gets into some long stories to cover all
the possibilities.

If you can't decide whether this is the problem or not, there are
a couple places where you can get more info; but I'll wait until
you ask in case you already know this isn't hte issue; it'd help
to know a little more about your network side.

HTH,
Pop

PA Bear

Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
additional protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:

<paste>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</paste>
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106

Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you are using OL and OE
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514

jsmiff

Thanks, Pop.

Unfortunately, it looks to be a problem with either this machine and
our router, or this machine and our ISP. The emails aren't super large
- probably around 30+ kb - but it's enough of a difference that small
packets - such as pings, web requests, etc, go through fine, but larger
packets stall out.

I've tried modifying the MTU to 1492, 1500, and down in the 500 range,
all with no luck. She can still do everything she could prior. I've
rebuilt the TCP/IP stack with no change, as well.

I'm not sure why only her machine is experiencing the problem, as my
machine is on the same hub, same ISP, with the same settings, and is
not experiencing the issue.

It doesn't appear to be the hardware, as she can transmit data to a
network share without a problem - including transmitting files over a
meg in size.

jsmiff

Thanks, Robear, but unfortunately, I know it's not anti-virus, because
I've already disabled that. :) Thanks anyway. I've tried that second
article, but since the problem isn't isolated to Outlook, not all of it
was pertinent.