Cannot see images in IE6

Australian

Hi

On certain sites I cannot see certain images, and also hyperlinks cannot be
seen. For example, the icons next to the radio buttons at www.whereis.com.au
.. These sites are fine on through my IE6 at work and friend's 5.5.

I have IE6 with SP1 (from XP SP1): Vn6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422.-1633

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Blane

Don Varnau

Blane,
Many possibilities...

First, look at the "other applications" possibilities.

Try the quick, easy fix first. Clear the IE cache from IE> Tools> Internet
Options> General> Delete files and Delete offline content. Reset the TIF
folder size to about 50MB (Settings button) and clear it occasionally.

Next...
283807 - Pictures Are Not Displayed on Web Sites in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807
Note: Repairing IE instead of reinstalling may work
194177 - Description of the Internet Explorer Repair Tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;194177
318378 - How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in
Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q318378

221134 - Some Images, Contents, or Controls May Not Be Displayed When
Viewing a Web Page: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221134
- - - - -
Additional information from Mike Burgess:

Are you using a Firewall or "filtering software"?

Several of these are known to cause problems:
1) Zone Alarm Pro [Private Header Info - enabled?]
Reset "Ad Blocking" and "Cookie Control" to "medium"
"Mobile Code Control" = Off

2) Symantec (ISS\NIS)[Enable Browser Privacy - enabled]
Active Content - "Allow All Script To Execute"
Problem: some sites cannot detect the 128 bit encryption
Solution: Completely remove and reinstall NIS.
[more info]
Web Pages Display a Red "X" Instead of a Graphic
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316545 [Norton Products]

3) Any "ad blocking" software that blocks "http_referer"
or contains entries that are blocking access to the desired site.

4) HOSTS file that contains entries that are blocking access to the desired
site.

5) Cookie blocking software that are blocking "required" Cookies.

6) Pop-up blockers that are stripping header\url info.

7) WebWasher Standard Filter/URL Filter

8) Make sure the following entry is not corrupt:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings]
"User Agent"="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)"

Note: "Win32" = Windows 98\ME
Other versions = (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0;)

To check your "User Agent":
Paste the below into the Address Bar and view the output:

javascript:navigator.userAgent

[Example WinME output]
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; Win 9x 4.90)
- - - - -
Other possibilities at http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/ieimage.htm
and
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#jpg_gif

Hope this helps,
Don

Dawn

--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org

Australian said:
Hi

On certain sites I cannot see certain images, and also
hyperlinks cannot
be
seen. For example, the icons next to the radio buttons
at
www.whereis.com.au
. These sites are fine on through my IE6 at work and friend's 5.5.

I have IE6 with SP1 (from XP SP1): Vn6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422.-1633

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Blane

.
New to this but saw this and am having (I think) the same
problem. All my graphics on internet
are "fuzzy" "garbled" "not clear" . Pics and everyhting
else ok just when viewing web pages in IE. Cleared IE
cache (understood that at least) but dont know how to
reset folder size or do any other fix that was suggested.
PLEASE PLEASE help b4 I take sledge hammer to computer!!!!
Please post answer or email to (e-mail address removed)

Don Varnau

Dawn,
Blurry / fuzzy images are a different situation.
If this is a laptop computer (not necessarily a Dell)
- - -
See:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_video&message.id=79881

From
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/highdpi.asp

How to Activate Scaling
Internet Explorer 6 and later automatically adjusts the scale on higher
resolution systems when the DPI setting is higher than 96 DPI and the
"UseHR" registry value is added to the registry. These are usually done by
the manufacturers of higher resolution systems.

Set the DPI
These are the steps for changing the DPI setting on your system.

Right-click the Windows desktop to display the context menu.
Click Properties on the context menu to display the Display Properties
dialog.
Click the Settings tab on the Display Properties dialog to display the
Settings tab.
Click the Advanced button on the Settings tab to display the monitor
properties dialog.
Select a DPI setting in the Display frame of the monitor properties dialog
to change the DPI setting.
Restart your system to allow the changes to take effect.

Run REGEDIT to add the UseHR Registry Entry
The UseHR value is added to the Main key under "Internet Explorer" as
follows:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Microsoft
Internet Explorer
Main
UseHR= dword:00000001
- - -
Or, see this MSKB article:
828682 - JPEG images appear distorted in Internet Explorer 6
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=828682
Note: If it's determined that this update will solve your problem and you do
not raise other issues, you should not be charged for this support call
(other that usual phone rates, of course.)

Hope this helps,
Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

Dawn said:
First, look at the "other applications" possibilities.

Try the quick, easy fix first. Clear the IE cache from IE> Tools> Internet
Options> General> Delete files and Delete offline content. Reset the TIF
folder size to about 50MB (Settings button) and clear it occasionally.
[snip]
.

"Dawn" <anonymous[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
First, look at the "other applications" possibilities.

Try the quick, easy fix first. Clear the IE cache from IE> Tools> Internet
Options> General> Delete files and Delete offline content. Reset the TIF
folder size to about 50MB (Settings button) and clear
it
occasionally.
New to this but saw this and am having (I think) the
same
problem. All my graphics on internet
are "fuzzy" "garbled" "not clear" . Pics and everyhting
else ok just when viewing web pages in IE. Cleared IE
cache (understood that at least) but dont know how to
reset folder size or do any other fix that was suggested.
PLEASE PLEASE help b4 I take sledge hammer to computer!!!!
Please post answer or email to (e-mail address removed)

.
Don:
Thanks for the information but I cant find were the DPI
setting is (It does state that the DPI is 96)But dont kow
how or if I should change it. Perhaps fuzzy isnt the word
its as if the pics arent compacted. They arent sharp..
Its only on IE and not on anything in the hard drive. This
is not a lap top but a Compaq Presario and the problem
just seemed to start out of nowhere for no apparent
reason. I will try the steps you gave me (the ones I
understand) and hope it fixes. Will let you know. Thanks -
Dawn

Robert Aldwinckle

seen. For example, the icons next to the radio buttons at www.whereis.com.au

Those items are the only ones on that page which refer to the path
SRC="/images/advertisers/

(This detail can also be seen by using the Privacy Report. Alt-V,v)

So my guess is that you have something active which is suppressing
ads based on a such keywords.

---

> [...]

else ok just when viewing web pages in IE. Cleared IE
cache (understood that at least) but dont know how to
reset folder size or do any other fix that was suggested.
PLEASE PLEASE help b4 I take sledge hammer to computer!!!!
Please post answer or email to (e-mail address removed)

.
Don:
Thanks for the information but I cant find were the DPI
setting is (It does state that the DPI is 96)But dont kow
how or if I should change it. Perhaps fuzzy isnt the word
its as if the pics arent compacted. They arent sharp..
Its only on IE and not on anything in the hard drive. This
is not a lap top but a Compaq Presario and the problem
just seemed to start out of nowhere for no apparent
reason. I will try the steps you gave me (the ones I
understand) and hope it fixes. Will let you know. Thanks -
Possible temp fix - when I open the web page and right
click,I can click REFRESH PAGE IN FULL QUALITY and the
page (graphics and pics) comes clear, sharp, the way its
supposed to show up... How do I get it to do it
automatically?

Mike Burgess

Robert,
Exactly! .... I had to uncheck several options in AdShield to
get those images to appear ....... [keyword: "/advertisers/" ]

Mike Burgess [MVP Windows Shell\User] http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 03-02-04]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid

Don Varnau

Dawn,
You're using an ISP that provides faster downloads by sacrificing resolution
(quality) aren't you? NetZero?

You may have to continue the current routine of right-click "Refresh page in
full quality " for pages where quality matters. Or find out how to turn off
the accelerator feature if you need full quality on all pages.
See: http://forum.mvps.org/viewtopic.php?t=4089

Don