Cannot ping DHCP server.

Mark Alexander Bertenshaw

Hi -

I have recently purchased a Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Modem/Router
(192.168.0.1), and have connected my two machines to it. One machine
(BABYLON5) has Win2000 server, and my "normal" machine (AGAMEMNON) has
Win2000 Professional. Unfortunately, the Win2000 Professional machine
cannot ping or HTTP to the router or the server machine.

I have set AGAMEMNON (which also has a number of dial-up connections, but
not active when I tested this) so that it automatically gets an IP address
and DNS allocated. And this *appears* to happen - I always get
192.168.0.4 - and looking at IPCONFIG /ALL, it appears that a DCHP server at
192.168.0.1 has leased it an IP address, and the subnet is correct
(255.255.255.0). Looking at the router setup, it appears that it detects
two devices attached to it: the Server machine (as BABYLON5) at 192.168.0.2,
and what must be AGAMEMNON (as UNKNOWN) at 192.168.0.4.

And it seems that at some level, AGAMEMNON knows about both the router and
BABYLON5 - resolving the IP addresses with ARP -a seems gives the correct
ethernet addresses. It's just that I can't contact them with ping or HTTP.

Roland Hall

in message
:
[...]

Tell me about your personal firewall...

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Mark Alexander Bertenshaw

Roland Hall said:
in message
[...]

I have been using ZoneAlarm, but disabling it in this case made no
difference.

However, after running netmon, it seemed that the occasional broadcast
packets got through, and I seemed to be able to recover the MAC addresses of
various IP addresses using arp -a <IP adress> . I tried replacing the
network card when the MAC address looked corrupted (which was probably a bug
in netmon). However, what *did* work was to remove the "Deterministic
Network Enhancer" component from the LAN connection properties. Googling
"Deterministic Network Enhancer" seemed to indicate a widespread problem
with this software. I realise now that this must have been installed when I
put some Netscreen VPN client software on my machine. I would guess that
this means that I won't be able to use the VPN software over my Netgear
router! Whilst this is not massively essential,.I would still like to be
able to use VPN over the ADSL connection.

Any ideas?

Roland Hall

in message
:
: : > "Mark Alexander Bertenshaw" wrote in message
: > : > : I have recently purchased a Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Modem/Router
: > : (192.168.0.1), and have connected my two machines to it. One machine
: > : (BABYLON5) has Win2000 server, and my "normal" machine (AGAMEMNON) has
: > : Win2000 Professional. Unfortunately, the Win2000 Professional machine
: > : cannot ping or HTTP to the router or the server machine.
: > :
[...]
: >
: > Tell me about your personal firewall...
: > --
: > Roland Hall
:
: Roland -
:
[...]

The VPN client is to connect to a VPN server. Your router/firewall just has
to support passing the port/service. If you're making a tunnel from
router/router, then that's a different story but here it is from your
client. Depending on what you're connecting to, this software may not even
be needed.

http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/whitepapers/config_remote_access_VPN_win2k.asp