Cannot get internet sharing to work.

G

ok, here is what I've been doing over the last 2 days...:(:
I had 1 computer , connected through a USB ADSL modem to the internet, running XP Home, formatted NTFS. no network card. Bought a brand new computer and installed XP home on it (FAT32). The second one already had a network card. So now I was ready to quickly :(:( setup internet sharing. From here on I will refer to the first computer as host and the second (new one) as client. So here it goes:
1. bought new NIC for host. (CNet 200
2. Installed card and loaded drivers
3. Connect both computers with a cross cabl
4. Run network config wizard on host, specifying that this one connects directly to the internet
5. Run wizard on the client and specify that this one will connect through the host
(Both in the default workgroup MSHOME

This is where normally the story ends and all is working. Well.... not really..

6. Tried browsing the network from the host. error message " you have no rights to access this resource (or somthing similar"
7. Tried browsing from the client. In the workgroup MSHOME only the client itself shows up
8. hmmm, weird. Start searching for articles in KB , websites etc. so we continue..
9. Enabled Guest accounts on both computers. (was not the case). Same problem
10. Physically removed cards from both PC's and switched them from one PC to the other. Ran the same procedure as described above. Same proble
11. Ran antivirus and adaware on host. (Not on the client because is is brand new and doesn't have ANY application yet
Same problem
12. Disabled and/or uninstalled any antivirus program on hos
13. disabled windows XP firewall on both PC's. Stimm same problem
14. Installed IPX on both systems. YES!! The famous error message on the host disappears! I can browse the MSHOME workgroup both from the host and the client. See the shared folders etc....
13. Ran the Network wizard again. host ends up with 192.168.0.1 and mask 255.255.255.
14 Did the same on the client. Client ends up with the famous adress 167.somthing and mas 255.255.0.0 . In other words, it doesn't see any IP systems around it
15. Configured manually the client with 192.168.0.2 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.
16. ping from host to both addresses work
17. ping from client to i tself (ping 192.168.0.2) work
18. ping from client to host fails......

Well, that's the current status.... I've gone through about all the articles I could find but cannot get it to work
Really puzzled. I've done this a dozen times on different locations and never had to dig that far
So what's next? Reinstall XP on the host? Remove the cards again and start from scratch?

Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated...

Thanks a lot in advanc

Timo

H

Hans-Georg Michna

flyingdutch said:
ok, here is what I've been doing over the last 2 days...:(:(
Well, that's the current status.... I've gone through about all the articles I could find but cannot get it to work.
Really puzzled. I've done this a dozen times on different locations and never had to dig that far.
So what's next? Reinstall XP on the host? Remove the cards again and start from scratch?

Timo,

please have a look at http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm.

Hans-Georg

Ask a Question