Cannot download IE6 SP1

Gamer

I cannot download IE6 SP1 for windows 98se - I get a big red cross
error message which states something like 'No Update Installed' and
prompts me to try again.

Going through the 'windows update' centre, the site scans for new
components to install and identifies as critical IE6 SP1. However,
clicking on 'Update now' the 486KB install program will not download
fully - I get the 'agreement' dialogue (and click accept) and then it
looks like something is briefly trying to download before the error
message occurs. Using the free Opera browser, I have been able to
download this install file, but running it with IE6 open it just looks
like nothing is happening. Any help appreciated,

Gamer

H Leboeuf said:
Clean your Temporary Internet Files (Folder)
Clean your Temp folder.

and:

Troubleshooting station.
Start here if you want.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

Thanks. I have tried these suggestions (I assume 'clean' means
'delete') to no avail. The windowsupdate/troubleshoot pages do not
have the (exact) problem I describe, though they have 'near misses'.
I am at a loss on this one, though searching through the web reveals
several articles/posts that DO have the same problem - alas with no
answer. On one similar post there was reference to deleting an
'index' file, but this was a bit beyond me.

Daniel F. Van Der Werken, Jr. [MS]

Do you have a c:\windows\Active Setup Log.txt file?

Does it contain any information about this setup attempt?

Do you have this section in your registry?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

If so, what is IsInstalled set to?

---Dan---

Gamer

Thanks for your help!

Do you have a c:\windows\Active Setup Log.txt file?

Yes - it is about 15KB.
Does it contain any information about this setup attempt?

The file is large and (to me) complete gobbledygook. Near the end of
the file there is a line that reads 'Could not open URLList registry
key. No URLs copied to JIT branch.'
Do you have this section in your registry?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
If so, what is IsInstalled set to?

The value is set to 0x00000001 (1)

Thanks for the help again.

Daniel F. Van Der Werken, Jr. [MS]

Set the registry entry from 0x00000001 to 0x00000000 and see what happens,
please.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Gamer)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
Subject: Re: Cannot download IE6 SP1
Date: 15 Oct 2003 02:50:41 -0700

Thanks for your help!

(e-mail address removed) (Daniel F. Van Der Werken, Jr. [MS]) wrote in message
Do you have a c:\windows\Active Setup Log.txt file?

Yes - it is about 15KB.
Does it contain any information about this setup attempt?

The file is large and (to me) complete gobbledygook. Near the end of
the file there is a line that reads 'Could not open URLList registry
key. No URLs copied to JIT branch.'
Do you have this section in your registry?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
If so, what is IsInstalled set to?

The value is set to 0x00000001 (1)

Thanks for the help again.

Gamer

Set the registry entry from 0x00000001 to 0x00000000 and see what happens,
please.

The value I have has a (1) at the end. Do you mean 'leave out this
(1)' or 'leave it alone'? Thanks for the help. What am I changing
here btw?

Daniel F. Van Der Werken, Jr. [MS]

Change it to zero. You're telling the installer program that Internet
Explorer 6.0 SP1 is *not* already installed.

So, get rid of the 1 at the end and make it a zero.

I can't imagine you doing this will cause any additional problems.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Gamer)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
Date: 16 Oct 2003 03:56:31 -0700

(e-mail address removed) (Daniel F. Van Der Werken, Jr. [MS]) wrote in message
Set the registry entry from 0x00000001 to 0x00000000 and see what happens,
please.

The value I have has a (1) at the end. Do you mean 'leave out this
(1)' or 'leave it alone'? Thanks for the help. What am I changing
here btw?

Gamer

Thanks again. OK I changed the value to 0, giving a display of
0x0000000 (0) and tried to do windows update with the same problem.
After accepting the agreement the program tries to download something
automatically (I don't get a choice of where I want this download to
go btw) and 111 KB seem to download before I get a window with a red
cross in a circle and the message 'No updates......'.

Daniel F. Van Der Werken, Jr. [MS]

Any idea what it is you're downloading?

Gamer

Any idea what it is you're downloading?

It goes really quickly but it seems to be the first part of the 480K
installer program, the one that you need to facilitate download of the
main SP1.

Gamer

Looking at the windows update log the original error on downloading
sp1 stated 'Library download error and timeout (46256ns) Will not
retry (Error 0x80072EFF)

Subsequent attempts give Error 08007000B An attempt was made to load a
program with an incorrect format.

Gamer

Looking at the windows update log the original error on downloading
sp1 stated 'Library download error and timeout (46256ns) Will not
retry (Error 0x80072EFF)

Subsequent attempts give Error 0x8007000B An attempt was made to load
a program with an incorrect format.

Gamer

I will look at these (great site btw!!). Over the weekend I sucessfuly
installed some IE6 patches I had not installed before, using the
official v4.microsoft... windows update site, but again got bounced
from installing SP1. I even reinstalled IE6 from a cover disk and got
the same problem again so I really don't know what has happened.
Thanks for the support again.

Gamer

For final information: using other tools I found that I had some
outdated files which I modified to the latest versions, but again
found I could not update to SP1. I finally borrowed an SP1
distribution disk and installed SP1 with no problems at all. I
suspect that the problem is quite deep rooted since I have been
updating IE from version 5.0, but who knows?