Cannot download a Norton uninstall tool

I have a question. I am helping a neighbor on his windows XP computer with
SP2 installed. The computer is on a cable hookup (RR) and connects to the
internet without any problems. I have not had any problems going from website
to website. However, when trying to download an uninstall tool from the
Norton Website the error "This page cannot be displayed-DNS error" comes up.
This is the only place I have found that this happens. I have checked all the
security networks options, have checked all the options under the advanced
tab in IE 6.0 and I cannot see anything that would cause this to happen. I
have the popup blocker turnerd off and I have checked the firewal settings.
It has Norton 2006 installed but I have this firewall turned off and I am
only using the windows firewall. I could use some ideas on this one.

Larry Mauriello

Have you contacted Symantec re: this problem. I know getting NIS is a royal
pia.....
Maybe they can email you the file. I believe that they have you run it from
outside Norton.
I did this for a friend but can't rem. how we did it. *I* had no prob.
removing it from my pc.
For this task all I can suggest is turn off ALL f/w, AV & Spy progs. you may
have just for this.
Good luck.

Larry, it is just the plain old Norton 2006 that is installed on the
computer. I downloaded the tool with my own computer and have it stored on a
disk. It is just the fact that when I try to download the tool we get this
"page cannot be displayed dns that bothers me. That should not be happening.
That is the only site so fare I have found it on but there could be others.
After doing some more checking here I have found some information down below
this post I am going to try. Thanks for the information.

PA Bear

The same hijackware that's causing problems with NIS (?) 2006 may be causing
the current problem, too.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
your log to http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7, or other appropriate
forums for expert analysis, not here.**

Thanks Pa Bear. I do have this website in my favorites and will continue to
read it.

Ted Zieglar

Or maybe I used poor discretion. Many people, especially those who use
the <ptui> web interface, think this newsgroup is a web page and
consequently misunderstand how to use a newsgroup effectively. Did you
refer to that URL earlier on when using the term "this website"?

Ted, I was referring to the websites that Pa Bear had listed for me to read.
I am relatively new to this newsgroup. I do not use it all that much so you
will have to forgive me if I make a few mistakes. We all learn by making
mistakes. Am I correct in saying that http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm is a
website. Aumha is the website I was referring to and the one I have in my
favorites.

Ted Zieglar

"We all learn by making mistakes."

In that case, I should be a scholar by now.

AumHa /is/ a website. When replying in a newsgroup, avoid deleting
discussions.

The corollary is that if you are reacting to a specific point made by a
poster, as I did here, you can delete everything else (this is known as
quoting).

Newsgroups are their own little world, with customs and conventions that
have evolved over time. It's not a bad idea to read a newsgroup for a
few days to get a feel for each group's customs and conventions (known
as lurking) before making your first post.

Technically, the world wide web and newsgroups (aka usenet) are both
part of the internet, but have different technical underpinnings and
were intended for different uses. Of course these days a newsgroup can
be made into a web page. But it's still a newsgroup.

<sigh> Makes me nostalgic for the good old days of DOS, Schlitz and
Father Knows Best.