Cannot Compact Message Store

bob clere

Every time I close Microsoft mail, I get a message about compacting the
database. When I say yes, it goes about halfway through the process and I
get an error message about Microsoft Mail stopped working. Since nobody
seems to know how to solve this problem, does anybody know if I can delete
the file that holds these messages as I don't want to save anything. Does
anyone know the file name or if there is a way to prevent messages from
going to the message store? The file just seems to be getting bigger and
bigger. There has to be a way to control this. Thanks

bob clere

I downloaded the program and ran it but it won't compact the database
either. It gets to about 70% and just stops. About the same place as the
mail compact database does when it stops working!

mikeyhsd

use the repair data base buttons

(e-mail address removed)

I downloaded the program and ran it but it won't compact the database
either. It gets to about 70% and just stops. About the same place as the
mail compact database does when it stops working!

Rainald Taesler

use the repair data base buttons
(e-mail address removed)

Pls be so kind as to refrain from using HTML in these newsgroup.
In general HTML is a true no-no in newsgroups.
And in the rules for these msnews groups this stated.

Rainald

mikeyhsd

please be so kind as to mind your own business.
according to ms news groups rules, HTML is and has always been welcome.

if you do not like then learn how to control/configure your computer to display the content in a manner of your choosing.

(e-mail address removed)

mikeyhsd said:
please be so kind as to mind your own business.

Sorry, as this a *common* place, I do not only care about my own
egoistic interests but those of the *community* too.
according to ms news groups rules, HTML is and has
always been welcome.

No. Never ever.
Any reference for this - IMHO absurd - statement??
if you do not like then learn how to control/configure
your computer to display the content in a manner
of your choosing.

Be assured that I know how to configure things on My side!
But in the case given, it's just *YOU* intruding.

I take the liberty to call your kind of behaviour (right now repeating
the offensive kind of posting with HTML and an animated GIF) just
anti-social.

Living together we all have to keep to rules enabling living together.
Each social communinity has its rules and needs its rules.
Unfortunately only too often there are some folks who won't accept the
rules and behave anti-social.
Another term for that is "criminal behaviour".
Think about that.

Rainald

mikeyhsd

as I said if you do not like my posts then learn how to control/configure your system to display messages as you chose.
do not expect the world to conform to you.

if you insist otherwise. then the solution is very easy.
send me a certified cashier check for the cost of my system, then and only then can you dictate how it is run.

(e-mail address removed)

[...]

Steve Cochran

These NGs have always permitted HTML messages. Your ranting against it
won't change that.

We do try to keep things small as some users still have to pay for the time
spent dialed up, but these are Microsoft newsgroups and there HTML has been
permitted (especially in the "mail" newsgroups) since OE4 back in 1997.

steve

Gary VanderMolen

The fact is that this particular HTML poster also uses HTML in
non-Microsoft newsgroups, where it is most unwelcome.
Once you set your news format for HTML for a Microsoft newsgroup,
it is too easy to leave that setting in place when posting in non-MS
newsgroups.

Gary VanderMolen

Rainald Taesler

Steve Cochran shared these words of wisdom:
These NGs have always permitted HTML messages. Your ranting against
it won't change that.
We do try to keep things small as some users still have to pay for
the time spent dialed up, but these are Microsoft newsgroups and
there HTML has been permitted (especially in the "mail" newsgroups)
since OE4 back in 1997.

I'm sorry.
I did not know that.
Thanks for letting me know!
And pls accept my apologies.

My mistake to apply my German standards. :-( :-(
In the German sections of the MS-NGs the Usenet netiquette applies.
HTML-postings are regarded to be anti-social and if new users are
posting with HTML they will asked to pls change the newsreader's
settings to plain vanilla Text.

My "ranting" was provoked by the animated GIF and the reaction on my
rather tame first posting.
I'll change my behaviour and will try to keep to the rules valid for
MS-NGs hierarchies following the good old rule "When going to Rome ."

Rainald

Gary VanderMolen

HTML is one thing, but animated GIFs are in a whole other category.

Gary VanderMolen

Rainald Taesler

Gary VanderMolen shared these words of wisdom:
The fact is that this particular HTML poster also uses HTML in
non-Microsoft newsgroups, where it is most unwelcome.
Once you set your news format for HTML for a Microsoft newsgroup,
it is too easy to leave that setting in place when posting in non-MS
newsgroups.

I'm pretty sure that this guy will not care at all in other places.

Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Gary VanderMolen shared these words of wisdom:
HTML is one thing, but animated GIFs are in a whole other category.

Thanks, Gary!

I had pointed to HTML in two other cases. But I think that I was
anything but but impolite.
But this case yellow dancing name caught me and on the response
unfortunately I got really angry. I'm sorry that I did not leave my
reply in the "drafts" basket and sleep over it {siiiigh}. Ranting
normally is not my style.

Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Steve,
I'm still really unhappy about my "ranting" and my referring to "rules"
which - as you said - don't apply.
Today I stumbled across Microsoft's German code of conduct
"Newsgroup - Netikette. Netikette, operations instructions for the
newsgroups"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;DE;NGNetikette

In there there is a paragraph on HTML:
"Do not post in HTML format
Newsgroups a medium base on plain text, colors and formative
accessories are not appropriate for postings. HTML postings are bigger
than text postings with the same contents and unnecessarily increase
the time for download. Furthermore they often have to be converted in
to a legible format because not all newsreaders are able to work with
the HTML. Therefore many users do not read HTML-postings at all."
(My translation)

Pls do not misunderstand Me. I'm far from wanting to apply this to the
US (international) newsgroups. I just want to explain how and why had
been pointing to this issue in a handful postings.

And I'm still wondering why the rules in these "globalized" groups
differ that much.

Thanks again for putting Me right.

Rainald

Steve Cochran shared these words of wisdom:

Steve Cochran

Well, don't worry about it too much.

We try to encourage people to post in plain text when possible due to the
fact that others have to pay still for download time.

cheers,

steve

Rainald Taesler

Thanks for your understanding, Steve!
I'm still sad for pointing to rules which - as you say - do not apply
to the US/international groups.

Rainald

Steve Cochran shared these words of wisdom: