Cannot Add Printer, nor see any installed printers

Reaction score
Windows XP, SP2, fully updated.

HP Laserjet 8150 and Xerox WorkCentre Pro 255 printers already installed.

One day, these installed printers vanished from the Printers display window, and the "Add Printer" function stopped working.

I can still print to the existing printers, though I can't adjust their propoerties through the Printers window, only through the Properties button on the application print interface.

Twain.dll, Twain32.dll, and vmmreg.dll are the only DLL's in the %systemroot% folder, and I've tried replacing them from a working build on an identical system, to no avail.

Print Spooler service is running, there are no errors of any kind in the Event viewer, and the system appears to be fine, with this one exception.

There are no errors generated when attempting to add a printer. When the "Add Printer" button is pressed, nothing happens. When we try to force the Wizard to run manually, nothing happens.

This behaviour occurs no matter who is logged into the machine (including local admin).

Suggestions?

Ask a Question