    so when I do a Disk Check or degrag it doesn't take so long.

    Thanks for any advice.
    Patti

    Patti Barden, Jan 16, 2010

  2. Patti Barden wrote:
    > Using XP SP3, 500GB drive
    >
    > Can I partition my C drive that has no partitions on but has the OS and data
    > and programs on it without
    > deleting anything?

    Not to nitpick, but your C: drive *does* have a partition, the C: drive
    *is* a partition.

    > Seems I have read it is not possible. I would like two partitions one for
    > data and one for OS and programs
    > so when I do a Disk Check or degrag it doesn't take so long.

    You will have to use a third party tool like Terabyte's BootItNg or
    Easus Partition Manager or other to do this.

    MAKE SURE that you backup all your precious files before doing any
    partition work! These tools are for most part safe to use but glitches
    and errors while doing partition work can quickly lead to catastrophic
    loss of all the data on the disk!

    John

    John John - MVP, Jan 16, 2010

  3. Patti  Barden

    Patti Barden Guest

    Ok, thanks. I do have Paragon Partition Manager and Paragon Hard Disk
    Manager but a novice on both.

    Everyone always says make a "backup of files" before you do anything but how
    do you backup 37GB data onto
    a floppy disk?? That is the only option my XP gives me, that is why I bought
    an external hard disk.

    Thanks, Patti

    "John John - MVP" <> wrote in message
    > Patti Barden wrote:
    >> Using XP SP3, 500GB drive
    >>
    >> Can I partition my C drive that has no partitions on but has the OS and
    >> data and programs on it without
    >> deleting anything?

    > Not to nitpick, but your C: drive *does* have a partition, the C: drive
    > *is* a partition.

    OK, stand corrected.

    Patti Barden, Jan 17, 2010
  4. I don't use Paragon tools but I'm quite sure that you can use these
    tools to backup your 37GB of data onto your external drive. I'm also
    sure that you can use these tools to resize your existing C: drive and
    create additional partitions with the free unallocated space that you
    will gain when you resize the C: drive. When you resize C: don't make
    the common mistake of making it too small!

    John

    John John - MVP, Jan 17, 2010
  5. Patti  Barden

    Patti Barden Guest

    Thanks everyone - I am struggling.

    If before I do anything I should make a backup/copy of my
    37GB data in case anything goes wrong -
    where do I put the backup/copy? If I partition
    the EHD (external hard disk) and put the
    backup/copy on it and then Clone
    the C Hard disk and put the clone on the EHC,
    I think that erases everything on the EHD which would negate
    my backups. Using a CD or floppy would mean a lot of disks or floppies?
    What am I missing?
    Patti

    Patti Barden, Jan 18, 2010
  6. Patti  Barden

    Tom Willett Guest

    External hard drives are cheap.
    :
    : If before I do anything I should make a backup/copy of my
    : 37GB data in case anything goes wrong -
    : where do I put the backup/copy? If I partition
    : the EHD (external hard disk) and put the
    : backup/copy on it and then Clone
    : the C Hard disk and put the clone on the EHC,
    : I think that erases everything on the EHD which would negate
    : my backups. Using a CD or floppy would mean a lot of disks or floppies?
    : What am I missing?
    : Patti
    :
    :
    : "Patti Barden" <> wrote in message
    : news:u2kV$...
    : > Ok, thanks. I do have Paragon Partition Manager and Paragon Hard Disk
    : > Manager but a novice on both.
    : >
    : > Everyone always says make a "backup of files" before you do anything but
    : > how do you backup 37GB data onto
    : > a floppy disk?? That is the only option my XP gives me, that is why I
    : > bought an external hard disk.
    : >
    : > Thanks, Patti
    : >
    : >
    : > "John John - MVP" <> wrote in message
    : > news:eLlnQ$...
    : >> Patti Barden wrote:
    : >>> Using XP SP3, 500GB drive
    : >>>
    : >>> Can I partition my C drive that has no partitions on but has the OS
    and
    : >>> data and programs on it without
    : >>> deleting anything?
    : >>

    Tom Willett, Jan 18, 2010
  7. Patti  Barden

    glee Guest

    First, set up your external drive (as someone already mentioned).
    Partition it with either a single partition or with more than one if
    that's what you want...doesn't really matter.

    When the external drive is set up, use (I assume you are using...)
    Acronis True Image to create an image of your system, storing it on the
    external drive.

    If you make an image, rather than "cloning" the drive, it make a large
    file with a .tib extension ...tib stands for True Image Backup. It is
    just a file....it doesn't erase anything on the drive, any more than
    making a text file and putting it there would erase anything.

    Why are you cloning the drive to the external drive?? You usually only
    clone if you plan to REPLACE your C: drive with the other
    drive....that's not what you need to do. True Image makes .tib files
    which can be restored if needed by using the rescue boot CD made with
    True Image, to boot your computer and then choose to restore from the
    external drive.

    Read the Help files please!
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
    A+

    glee, Jan 19, 2010
  8. Patti  Barden

    glee Guest

    "Robbie Hatley" <> wrote in message
    > snip
    > Then you can change partitions on your main hard disk at will.
    > Use a partition manager, such as "PowerQuest PartitionMagic".
    > Move boundaries around as you like.
    > snip

    PowerQuest Partition magic hasn't been in existence for a while...at
    version 8, it was bought out by Symantec in 2003, and was renamed Norton
    Partition Magic. No new versions were released since that time, and it
    was discontinued last year.
    Welcome to 2010....

    glee, Jan 23, 2010
  9. Patti  Barden